Helpful ReplyHot!Cant stop FortiClient from starting on startup

Author
JonStarr
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/16 18:54:42 (permalink)

Cant stop FortiClient from starting on startup

I' m using FortiClient for VPN purposes only and dont need it running any other time. I cant get disable fortinet from starting on startup. Its getting very frustrating.

I' ve followed this guide;
http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD31776

But when I go to step 2 and try to uncheck FortiClient Service Scheduler and click Apply, it automatically re-ticks itself.

Anyone had this problem or know how to solve it? We use Forticlient for corporate vpn and I' m having second thoughts now.
AtiT
Gold Member
  • Total Posts : 440
  • Scores: 32
RE: Cant stop FortiClient from starting on startup 2013/05/16 21:39:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby lenci 2017/01/10 00:36:24
5 (2)
Hi,
I have the newest version of FortiClient installed 5.0.3 on Windows 8 x64bit and this worked for me.

1) Right-click on the FortiClient icon on the taskbar and select Shutdown FortiClient.
2) go to command prompt and enter: net stop fortishield [ENTER]
3) RUN -> msconfig and go to services tab. Uncheck the service FortiClient Service Scheduler and [APPLY] - Do not restart the PC now.
4) RUN -> services and search for FortiClient Service Scheduler. Right-click -> Properties and change the startup type to: Manual.
5) Reboot

It also worked on Win 7 32bit.

Regards,
< Message edited by AtiT -- 5/17/2013 7:23:24 AM >

AtiT
--------------------
NSE 8, CCNP R+S
thronk
Re: RE: Cant stop FortiClient from starting on startup 2016/03/09 11:59:39 (permalink)
AtiT
Hi,
I have the newest version of FortiClient installed 5.0.3 on Windows 8 x64bit and this worked for me.

1) Right-click on the FortiClient icon on the taskbar and select Shutdown FortiClient.
3) RUN -> msconfig and go to services tab. Uncheck the service FortiClient Service Scheduler and [APPLY] - Do not restart the PC now.
4) RUN -> services and search for FortiClient Service Scheduler. Right-click -> Properties and change the startup type to: Manual.
5) Reboot

Regards,

Thank you so much, I was JUST dealing with this on my PC.  Had to add it for a managed client who has a Fortinet firewall and now I couldn't get it to disable the startup of the service (Invalid Parameter) it kept saying.  This did the trick beautifully!
lenci
Re: RE: Cant stop FortiClient from starting on startup 2017/01/10 00:38:54 (permalink)
AtiT
Hi,

5) Reboot

Regards,

Thanks! This helped.
ChrisFGT
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 2
Re: RE: Cant stop FortiClient from starting on startup 2018/03/13 16:03:14 (permalink)
5 (1)
Here's how to disable FortiClient daemon automatic startup on a Mac:

Tested on:
macOS 10.13.3, FortiClient 5.6.6

Reference materials:
FortiClient Administration Guide
FortiClient XML Reference Guide
launchd tutorial

System changes made:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.fortinet.forticlient.credential_store.plist
Change RunAtLoad key from true to false, and add false parameter below KeepAlive key...
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <false/>
        <key>KeepAlive</key>
        <false/>

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.fortinet.forticlient.fct_launcher.plist
Change RunAtLoad key from true to false...
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <false/>

A before/after comparison of running processes after reboot will demonstrate successful changes:

Before, with FortiClient auto-started (with leading columns cut out for ease of display)...
$ ps aux | grep -i forti | cut -d \/ -f2-
Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/fctappfw
Applications/FortiClient.app/Contents/Resources/runtime.helper/FortiClientAgent.app/Contents/Resources/runtime.helper/FctMiscAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/FctMiscAgent
Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/epctrl
Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/ftgdagent
Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/fctservctl
Applications/FortiClient.app/Contents/Resources/runtime.helper/FortiClientAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/FortiClientAgent
Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/CredentialStore
$

After reboot, the same grep should return zero process results (other than your grep process), and the tray icon will no longer be loaded.
$ ps aux | grep -i forti
$

post edited by ChrisFGT - 2018/03/16 08:55:10
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5