Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
systemgeek
New Contributor III

Best choice for Client VPN

I am running fortigate vm in AWS ver 7.2.4.  I am starting to look at setting up client VPNs for our users.  After reading the documentation I noticed we could do this in 2 phases.  Phase 1 move all existing users to forticlient VPN.  Phase 2 move the users to ZTNA.

While going through the SSL-VPN Settings on the Fortigate I see the message "For increased security, scalability, and flexibility, use ZTNA or IPsec VPN as an alternative to SSL-VPN tunnel modes."  So does that mean I should be doing IPsec VPNs for normal users rather then using the old SSL-VPN?  Are there any gotchas if I do Client IPsec VPN when the fortigate is running in AWS?

1 Solution
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

SSL-VPN is safe as long as you use MFA and keep your FortiGate patch up to date.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
4 REPLIES 4
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

SSL-VPN is safe as long as you use MFA and keep your FortiGate patch up to date.

AEK
AEK
systemgeek
New Contributor III

Perfect...  I want to do MFA.

One more question.  When I am setting up the VPN I have an option for Tunnel Mode Client Settings where its assigning this range: Tunnel users will receive IPs in the range of 10.212.134.200 - 10.212.134.210.  Or I can assign my own range.  Where is it getting that range from?  Can I change that range to match the number of Client licenses I purchased?

AEK

For sure you can use any private range that is not already used in your network.

AEK
AEK
systemgeek
New Contributor III

Do you have any idea how it comes up with that DEFAULT range?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors