Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Anne
New Contributor III

Blocking the users from downloading executables

Hi there, I am deploying web filtering solution for a customer using Fortinet UTM. It is working fine. The only thing that I am unable to do at the moment is " How can i prevent users from downloading executables" Thanks in advance. Rgds Anu
13 REPLIES 13
Dmp
New Contributor

Add a new DLP sensor, filter " files" , file type included in " all_executables" , examining HTTP, FTP, action " block" . Then add the sensor to your firewall policy. Let me know if it works for you. Regards, Martin
Rick_H
New Contributor III

Could you use the Data Leak Prevention (DLP) portion of UTM for this? You can specifically list Executable files as a type of restriction. You can also list specific file formats. Click here (4.3.x) and have a look at pg 173 or here (5.0.x) and have a look at pg 106.
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

You may want to exclude certain sites from this, such as Microsoft/windows update sites, which may prevent computers/users from downloading needed updates if exe files are blocked outright. What you can do is create a list of exempted fqdn sites and group them together, create a firewall policy that excludes these sites from DLP/UTM and move it near the top of the firewall chain....assuming you trust the security placed on the DNS servers your company uses. An example.....
 config firewall address
     edit " update.microsoft.com" 
         set associated-interface " wan1" 
         set type fqdn
         set fqdn " update.microsoft.com" 
     next
     edit " download.windowsupdate.com" 
         set type fqdn
         set fqdn " download.windowsupdate.com" 
     next
     edit " windowsupdate.microsoft.com" 
         set type fqdn
         set fqdn " windowsupdate.microsoft.com" 
     next
 end
 config firewall addrgrp
     edit " Windows-Updates" 
             set member " download.windowsupdate.com"  " update.microsoft.com"  " windowsupdate.microsoft.com"              
     next
 end
 config firewall policy
     edit 99
         set srcintf " internal_net" 
         set dstintf " wan1" 
             set srcaddr " all"              
             set dstaddr " Windows-Updates" 
         set action accept
         set schedule " always" 
             set service " ANY"              
         set nat enable
     next
 end

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Anne
New Contributor III

Thanks All. Thanks Dave. This is actually what I wanted to do. Rgds Anne
Anne
New Contributor III

Hi Dave, I did that and it does not work. I am unable to download executables now which is good. What is not good is that I am unable to download executables from trusted websites as well. I created a group called " Trusted Download Websites" . I created a Firewall object " Sun" and selected Type as " FQDN" and FQDN as " http://www.sun.com" . Interface as " WAN1" I created a Firewall Rule: (this is on the top) Source: Test PC Source Interface: Internal Destination: " Trusted Download Websites" Destination Interface: WAN1 Service: ANY NAT: Enable Next to this rule, I have another rule: Source: Test PC Source Interface: Internal Destination:ALL Destination Interface: WAN1 Service: http,https NAT: Enable UTM: Enable DLP Sensor (which blocks the executables) I logged onto Test PC and type " http://www.sun.com" and click enter. On the Firewall, it should hit my first rule and I should see the Count Increasing. But that' s not what' s happening. It still hits my second rule. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
Anne
New Contributor III

Also, I can ping www.sun.com from the Firewall So does not look like DNS issue
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

An address is NOT a URL. Put " www.sun.com" into the address object not the URL, and try again. BTW, I don' t think Java updates come from sun.com but oracle.com. But sun.com might just be an example.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Anne
New Contributor III

Sorry Guys, it is not as easy as it sounds. No matter whatever you do, the DLP feature takes precedence over everything else. I have logged a TAC case and let' s see what they come up with
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Have you disconnected any open sessions (or rebooted the fgt) after making the changes as per ede_pfau?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors