Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Magion
Contributor

Using usb key

I'm looking on how to get the config on a USB key. This can be done via GUI and CLI.

Using CLI it's possible to manage the usb-key copying the backup with:

execute usb-disk *

execute backup *

The execute backup command has 2 options for output to usb:

usb          Backup config file to USB disk.
usb-mode     Backup config file for USB mode.

What is the difference between usb and usb-mode? Does the latter have to do with the auto-install mode?

The documentation is not helping here.

Firmware is 6.0.6. 

PS. Is the execute command dropped in fw 6.2+ ? It's not in the CLI manuals anymore.

2 REPLIES 2
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm I just used auto-install mode for that.

you find that under system->advanced->Usb install in gui

or in config system auto-install in cli.

It is enabled by factory default and on gui it shows you the default filenames (on cli it does not show these unless you explicitely set them).

Default is:

image.out for firmware image

fgt_system.conf for configuration

if this is on the usb key which is plugged into the fgt and you reboot or power cycle the FGT it will detect that and automagically install firmware and config. If there is only one of them it will install only that one.

hth

Sebastian

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Magion

Thanks for the explanation.

But what I really wanted to know (I will change the TS to reflect this better) is what the usb and usb-mode option do.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors