Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TimKut
New Contributor

IP pool monitoring

Hello, everyone,

one of my customers has a problem with his IP pool. This pool is partly exhausted due to the increasing amount of video conferences. Apart from the notes in the log, there are no alarms and no reports. Is there a possibility to monitor the NAT pool usage with the Analyzer or with a monitoring tool? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for your solutions.

Many greetings from Mönchengladbach. Stay healthy! 

Tim

3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Where is the problem in the first place? If a /24 is insufficient, use a /22. And, shorten the lease time to, say, 10 minutes. Otherwise, disconnected clients will not give up their addresses quick enough with high demand.

As for your question, I wonder if there is an event logged in FAZ. Maybe not for "pool depleted" but for the subsequent address assignment failures. If there is such a message you could trigger an action on this event.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
TimKut

Hello ede_pfau,

thanks for your quick response. This is actually about the public IPs that are being natted. I will have a look at the log, but I assume that there are exactly these log entries because connections are not established anymore once the pool is exhausted. If you can trigger actions out of them and generate a daily report about the usage of the NAT pool, then I'm already very satisfied.

itmotetocka
New Contributor

Hey Tim,

I can totally understand the conundrum you're facing with your customer's IP pool situation. It's a common issue, especially with the surge in video conferences these days. Monitoring NAT pool usage is crucial to prevent service disruptions.

Based on my experience, you might want to delve into your Firewall Analyzer (FAZ) logs. Although there may not be a direct "pool depleted" alarm, keep an eye out for any messages related to address assignment failures or pool exhaustion. These can serve as indirect indicators of the issue.

Once you identify such events, you can set up triggers or actions within your monitoring tool to notify you in real-time. This way, you'll be proactively alerted to potential problems before they cause major disruptions.

Also, consider implementing a dynamic IP allocation strategy to optimize resource usage during video conferences. It could help alleviate the pool exhaustion issue.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors