Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Fdecourt
New Contributor

Dummies question

Hi,

Please, don't tell go to see a reseller or whatever. I am just trying to understand all the Fortinet products, and how I can sell them to my associates.

We are a small company, having a very weak and insecure network. I want to make it stronger and safer, either Wifi and LAN. I am not a network guy, so forgive my technical weakness.

To prepare my budget, for a basic network system, behind our internet box (yes), does a controller Fortigate201E and 2/3 access points (223E), is enough material to start building something ? Do I need other material ?

What I wan't to do, basically : 

- Give wireless access to my employees, give my visitor a dedicated access.

- being able to filter the content on both wifi network

- Manage internal wifi and lan access

- antivirus

- VPN access to my internal network (with access management per user

Thanks for your kindness

Regards,

F.

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sounds like FortiGate+FortiAPs would cover those requirements. What model to choose is based on the size of devices/users and bandwidth of internet circuits. 200E series might overkill depending on them. There are 100E, 80E, and 60E exist below 200E.

Seppel

if you want to use forti switches in the near future, I recommend you the 100E. From this you can define aggregate ports, not with smaller models.

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager

FortiEMS

FortiSandbox 1000D

FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager FortiEMS FortiSandbox 1000D FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Welcome to the forums.

The benefit of a reseller is that they may be better able to scale a model for your needs. The number of employees, speed of Internet pipe, enabled features, number of tunnels, etc all play a part in deciding what level of firewall to purchase. Throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks isn't a great approach.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
ede_pfau

@Bob:

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Daniel_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi F.

in regards of what you want to do, the combination of FortiGate and APs should provide what you are asking for feature wise. Keep in mind though how to distribute power and ethernet for your endpoints and APs. You might want to consider PoE capable switches if you dont have them already.

Anyway to buy Fortinet equipment you need to get in touch with a reseller. If you are not into networking yourself as you say you might want to ask an expert in that occasion to look on your sizing and your current network to get a good offer and design going.

BR

Daniel

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors