Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jmckellep
New Contributor

Issue with Single Sign On

I am having an issue where an AD group was moved from one OU to another and now the policies that reference that group no longer work. How do I add or edit the distinguished name of my ldap servers so that it includes another OU. Would I create a new ldap server and new single sign on to accomplish this? or could i edit the distinquished name to include 2 OU's? like OU=Name1,OU=Name2? Or can i just alter the distinguished group to just be the whole domain with all OU's?

3 REPLIES 3
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

first of all LDAP is a TREE. So moving stuff around is change to the structure.

If your firewall group points to CN=ADusergroup,OU=unitX,DC=example,DC=com and you move that ADusergroup into OU named unitY then whole path will be changed to CN=ADusergroup,OU=unitY,DC=example,DC=com !!

And so firewall group bonded to path with unitX will no longer work as it points in wrong direction now.

As you refer to Single Sign-On I guess we are talking about Fortinet SSO (FSSO).

Then fix depends on where your FSSO Group Filters are defined.

- if on FGT (as it might do local polling directly), then change them locally

- if on standalone Collector Agent, and if FGT has LDAP in FSSO Agent, then change config here as it will push filter to Collector

- if on standalone Collector and FGT do not have LDAP in FSSO Agent config, then change it on Collector and filter will be pulled from Collector to FGT

- if on FortiAuthenticator, then change filters there

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

jmckellep

Hello. Thanks for the help. But I don't fully understand your answer. Let me show you my scenario.

Under LDAP Servers I have 1 object. the distinguished name is ou=group1,dc=example,dc=com. 

Then under single sign-on I have 1 object that polls that ldap server.

The user was moved from ou=group1,dc=example,dc=com to ou=group2,dc=example,dc=com. So because of the way my LDAP Server and SSO is setup, I am unable to change the existing policy so that the user group points to this new group2 because I am only able to choose from a drop down list of objects under the ou=group1 tree.

What I am wondering is if I could alter the existing LDAP server distinguished name to just dc=example,dc=com so that I can access all the groups under the top of the ldap tree, because group2 is on the same level in the tree as group1. Would this work and would it impact my firewall in terms of performance?

Or, could I create a second LDAP server entry where the distinguished name is ou=group2,dc...etc. then create a second single sign-on entry that references this different LDAP server? Will that cause a conflict? Are you allowed to create more than 1 object pointing to the FSSO agent under single sign-on?

xsilver_FTNT

Hi,

you probably do have something like this :

-----------------------------------------------

config user ldap edit "LDAP-SRV" set server "10.10.10.69" set cnid "cn" set dn "ou=group1,dc=example,dc=com" set type regular set username "cn=administrator,cn=Users,ou=group1,dc=example,dc=com" ... and then used in FSSO Agent ..

config user fsso edit "FSSO-LDAP-SRV" set server "10.10.10.69" set ldap-server "LDAP-SRV"

next

end

and then used in AD groups (those selected from LDAP and Group Filtered on Collector ..

config user adgrp edit "CN=Domain Users,CN=Users,ou=group1,dc=example,dc=com" set server-name "FSSO-LDAP-SRV" next end

and then this AD group used in FW group which will be in some policy ...

config user group edit "SSO_Guest_Users" next edit "Guest-group" set member "guest" next edit "AD_DOMAIN_USERS" set group-type fsso-service set member "CN=Domain Users,CN=Users,ou=group1,dc=example,dc=com" next

So your limitation is in LDAP-SRV config pointing to BaseDN = "ou=group1,dc=example,dc=com", which is not allowing you to see stuff like "ou=group2,dc=example,dc=com". If access privileges of the user used for LDAP allows you to see "dc=example,dc=com", then shorten base DN to start search in upper part of the tree.

If you just moved all users from group1 to group2, then you can also directly change adgrp config part.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors