Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
srappaport
New Contributor

Hardware Switch on FG300E?

I have a new 300E running 5.6.3 out of the box. No interfaces are configured yet. When I go to create a new interface, I have the option for Software Switch, but not Hardware Switch.  Is there no longer a differentiation or is it simply not available on a 300E?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

It took some time to find the schematic. Of the 32 ports (16x GbE, 16x SFP) the SFP ports are directly connected to the NP6, whereas the GbE ports are connected via an Integrated Switch fabric. So, the GbE ports should be able to form a hardware switch.

The difference between HW and SW switch is that the SW switch is putting load on the CPU. The 300E has got a 4 core, 4 tasks CPU which is capable but you would always try to use a hardware switch.

Have a look at the 'lan' or 'internal' port in System > Network > Interfaces: is it made up of single ports? This is a hardware switch then. You could detach a port to use it elsewhere.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
srappaport

Thanks for looking into that, Ede.

Out of the box, all ports are individual interfaces - no "internal" or "lan" interface, just port1-port28, ha, etc.

When I go to click Create New, Interface, I get only the following options: VLAN, 802.3ad Aggregate, Redundant Interface, Loopback Interface, Software Switch, and WiFi SSID.  There is no Hardware Switch option.

ede_pfau

OK, it seems there might be only one hardware switch available.

The config is found in the CLI (from the v5.6.2 Ref. manual):

config system physical-switch
    edit { name }
    # Configure physical switches.
        set age-enable { enable | disable } Enable/disable layer 2 age timer.
        config port
            edit { name }
            # Configure member ports.
                set speed { option } Speed.
                    auto Automatically adjust speed.
                    10full 10M full-duplex.
                    10half 10M half-duplex.
                    100full 100M full-duplex.
                    100half 100M half-duplex.
                    1000full 1000M full-duplex.
                    1000half 1000M half-duplex.
                    1000auto 1000M auto adjust.
                set status { up | down } Interface status.
                    up Interface up.
                    down Interface down.
                set name { string } Physical port name. size[15]
            next
        set age-val { integer } Layer 2 table age timer Value. range[0-4294967295]
        set name { string } Name. size[15]
    next
end

config system virtual-switch
    edit "internal"
        set physical-switch "sw0"
        config port
            edit "internal1"
            next
            edit "internal2"
            next
            edit "internal3"
            next
            edit "internal4"
            next
        end
    next
end

The 'virtual switch' config is from my 60E.

HTH.

Ede

ede_pfau

Oops, just created a second virtual-switch, and it works. Shows up in Interface section under 'Hardware Switch'. But I haven't tested this, whether the 2 ports in the new switch are connected, and these ports and the ports from the other switch are not.

Ede

srappaport

Unfortunately, "config system physical-switch" and "config system virtual-switch" are not valid commands on the 300E using 5.6.3.  I only have "config system switch-interface" and when I create a new entry, it appears as a software switch.

ede_pfau

And you're not accidently working with VDOMs?

If not, seems the 300E does not have a hardware switch. Maybe someone using a 300E could look it up in the CLI...

Ede

srappaport

No VDOMs.  I looked through the 5.6.3 CLI manual but could not find any commands related to hardware switch.

Thank you for your efforts!

ede_pfau

In the v5.6.2 Handbook, pg. 2194, the 'virtual switch' feature is documented. This is the means to use the switch hardware (as opposed to the software switches).

Hardware features like this are documented in the 'Product Matrix'. When I looked it up earlier, I couldn't believe that none of the E series midrange FGTs feature a hardware switch. Not so sure anymore. My FG-60E does have one (and that's a SoC!).

Ede

kurtli_FTNT

Hi Guys,

So far no NP6 models support virtual-switch, not only E but also D models, like 300D/500D/800D.

Thanks.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors