Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gilbertog
New Contributor

OSPF over IPSec VPN Tunnel

Hello.

I'm having a trouble setting up OSPF over IPSec in the network of my company.

We actually have created VPN tunnels between each branch office. This tunnels are in a simple configuration with static routes working well. We want to configure OSPF over this tunnels for, in a future, establish a dynamic full mesh topology.

I thought it was just like configuring any device for OSPF, however I was wrong. I need to know what Networks in the OSPF web based manager means. Let me explained. I thought I should establish there the networks i want to broadcast OSPF files by, so it would be the public network IP. I did this but it didn't work. Then, I put the IP intern network and neither work. I've already configure Interfaces (the tunnel interfaces) and established to redistribute connected networks and static ones. I'm getting crazy. If you know something, everything can help.

Thanks a lot.

8 REPLIES 8
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I thought it was just like configuring any device for OSPF, however I was wrong

Actually your wrong, dynamic-routing  over ipsec-tunnel is like any other interface. In fact the OSPF proc has no ideal it's a vpn-tunnel interface vrs a vlan802.1q vrs phy.

Outside of many  setting a address over the tunnel and the ospf-type of tunnel it's absolutely has the same feel of a ethernet interface.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
gilbertog

emnoc wrote:

I thought it was just like configuring any device for OSPF, however I was wrong

Actually your wrong, dynamic-routing  over ipsec-tunnel is like any other interface. In fact the OSPF proc has no ideal it's a vpn-tunnel interface vrs a vlan802.1q vrs phy.

Outside of many  setting a address over the tunnel and the ospf-type of tunnel it's absolutely has the same feel of a ethernet interface.

Ken

What would you recommend to me? What should I put in OSPF networks part? I've tried with the public IP and the private one, with their own respective mask. What the OSPF networks means in Fortigate?

Toshi_Esumi

First off, you should stick to CLI to configure any routing protocol on FG. Web interface is very limited.

Then under "config network" you should put prefix include the interface IP. We regularly allocate a /30 private range on both side so the prefix would be like

config network

edit 1

set prefix 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.252

next

end

in case FG's tunnel interface is 10.10.10.1 and the peer has 10.10.10.2.

ericli_FTNT
Staff
Staff

gilbertog wrote:

Hello.

I'm having a trouble setting up OSPF over IPSec in the network of my company.

We actually have created VPN tunnels between each branch office. This tunnels are in a simple configuration with static routes working well. We want to configure OSPF over this tunnels for, in a future, establish a dynamic full mesh topology.

I thought it was just like configuring any device for OSPF, however I was wrong. I need to know what Networks in the OSPF web based manager means. Let me explained. I thought I should establish there the networks i want to broadcast OSPF files by, so it would be the public network IP. I did this but it didn't work. Then, I put the IP intern network and neither work. I've already configure Interfaces (the tunnel interfaces) and established to redistribute connected networks and static ones. I'm getting crazy. If you know something, everything can help.

Thanks a lot.

Hi there,

1. Routing-based IPSEC is always recommended for later dynamic routing configuration. Try to avoid policy-based IPSEC in this situation.  So, make sure your IPSEC configuration is under "config vpn ipsec phase1-interface".

2. After your IPSEC tunnel is built up, go to the tunnel interface (the same name as your phase1-interface), config 32-bit local and remote IP address.

3. OSPF should be running on these tunnel interface. Once you configured the interface, the network type would be set to "point-to-point" automatically.

4. After you finished your OSPF configuration, please check if the interface is running OSPF first, by "get router info ospf interface", you should see the tunnel interface is in the list.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Now after you  have the ospf interface up your next-hop routing for the "destination subnets can be check ". DYN-RT +  RT-BASED vpn eliminates the needs to apply static routes and makes it simple to have redundant tunnels or paths imho

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
braveheart
New Contributor

Hi Gilbertog,

I think i have exactly same settings in my company and its working like charm. My scenario is like this. I have configured site-to-site vpn on public interface(WAN interface) with my Head office and Branch office. When I first created VPN tunnels in 5.6.2 in GUI then in the Network-->Interface section automatically tunnels interface created. After that I changed that tunnel interface and put my own VPN tunnel private ip address on the tunnel interface. Then in the Networ-->OSPF section in GUI I did the following:

Area section: Area=0.0.0.0 TYpe=Regular Authentication= "As per your need"

Networks section: Click new network and put the VPN tunnel network which automatically created after creating VPN tunnels and put area 0.

Interface section: Click "Create New" then Put any name for Name portion. In the interface section select the VPN tunnels name when you created the tunnel during VPN tunnel creation. In the IP section you will put the VPN tunnel Interface IP (for me I put private IP) which you put in the Network-->Interface section. It must match otherwise it will show error. The use authentication as per your need and Put cost. The cost will be based on your requirements and the priority of your VPN tunnels. You can keep Hello and Dead interval intact.

After doing that you VPN tunnel should come up. One think you need to remember that if you are crating VPN tunnel with other vendor like cisco then you may face the problem with tunnels. In my case ospf adjacency did not came up because of mtu value. in that case you need to adjust MTU value to bring the tunnel up. 

Thanks.

FernandoGuazelli

Well, i'm new in here but, i really appreciated the discussion about IPSEC + OSPF routing.

I'll try to deploy a cenario with two internet links on HQ and two internet links on Branch Offices, and we have five Brach Offices.

The only especific thing is, actually, i use static routes in a simple way to deploy IPSEC, but, all the traffic to internet are routed to the HQ to be treated (Web Filter, Application Control, SSL Inspection, whatever more), and i do this using Policy Route, caring about the sequence of policy routes so that traffic between the branches does not have to pass through the HQ, so, the route policies wich route the internet traffic to HQ are the last ones. It works perfectly.

That's the question, how do i do the same cenario switching static routes to OSPF ? hehe

Thanks in advance by the support and i hope to help someone one day if possible with my little knowledge.

GentX
New Contributor

Hi Gilbertog,

I can share you some documentations to configure OSPF over dynamic IPSec VPN

For your problem of "what Networks in the OSPF web based manager means" (Advanced inter-area Network)

Then I can not help you if I don't have your topology and the troubleshooting commands, please provide them if it is possible. 

So if I understand, you want, in a future, to replace your static routes and replace them by OSPF to configure dynamically your route table for each Fortigate. 

But in my view you are going to get some problem because if you build a full mesh topology under OSPF over IPSec you are going to generate lots of control traffic which will be not scalable, and not efficient.

I can suggest you an other way to configure dynamically your full mesh topology under IPSec. It is better to use this topology, ADVPN hub-and-spoke (KB links). This one allows a traditional hub and spoke VPN’s spokes to establish dynamic, on-demand direct tunnels between each other so as to avoid routing through the topology’s hub device (useful link 3 and 4).

Be careful: ADVPN run under BGP,  (i.e : you have to abandon OSPF and re-create your configuration under BGP).

I hope my help has been useful. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors