Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jrpayne
New Contributor

Reverse Proxy Question

First of all let me say that I am not a reverse proxy expert but I am trying to secure our network. Right now I use the VIP option for server sitting in the DMZ. However, if possible I would like to move to a reverse proxy option and get rid of all vip group. I don't have any idea whether or not this is even feasible. Does anyone send their external request to a reverse proxy before send them inbound to the actual device. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
CBaezLe
New Contributor III

Are you trying to RP with a Fortigate?  As far as I know, FortiWeb is the solution that you're looking for. See datasheet HERE

Cheers.

jrpayne

Yes I knew that they had that product however, from what I understand the Fortigate itself is supposed to do reverse proxying as well. I was just trying to find someone that may have used it for that purpose before and how they did it.  I really dont like having to open all the holes in the firewall so the outside IP is speaking directly to the machine inside or in the DMZ.

CBaezLe
New Contributor III

jrpayne wrote:

Yes I knew that they had that product however, from what I understand the Fortigate itself is supposed to do reverse proxying as well. I was just trying to find someone that may have used it for that purpose before and how they did it.  I really dont like having to open all the holes in the firewall so the outside IP is speaking directly to the machine inside or in the DMZ.

Oh, ok! So, did you find a way to RP with the Fortigate? I could really use the info.

Thanks!

Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi We do "RP" with Fortigate within the loadbalance function.

config firewall vip edit "vs_https_owa"         set type server-load-balance         set extip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx         set extintf "wan1"         set server-type ssl         set monitor "https"         set persistence ssl-session-id         set extport 443             config realservers                 edit 1                     set ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx                     set port 443                 next             end         set ssl-mode full         set ssl-certificate "your ssl certificate"         set ssl-dh-bits 2048         set ssl-min-version tls-1.0         set ssl-client-renegotiation secure     next

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
nazz61
New Contributor II

Hi Marcus,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm curious how you got this working and whether it would work in my scenario. We have a fortigate 100D

I am wanting to setup https access to multiple webservers and also an ADFS Server that are sitting on my internal network. 

site1.domain.com

Site2.domain.com

Site3.domain.com

ADFS.domain.com

I have a wildcard public certificate for domain.com. Is there anyway for the fortigate to know where to send the traffic? 

Cheers

Nathan

Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi Nazz Sorry for the delay, was absent for a while. Yes, this should work in your scenario. In my opinion, the easy way, is to create a lodbalance vip for every site. This should work with your wildcard cert as well and you can decide which domain points to the corresponding webserver.

As I know, there is no way to redirect different URLs (with same IP) to different Servers. Hope it helps. Best,

Markus

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You need a real reverse  proxy if you want  host_header switching if you have one  public_address. A  Fortigate-RP is good for generic  hosting but not the ideal candidate.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors