Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AlexW
New Contributor III

changing distance in RIP

Hi,

I try to change the administrative distance within RIP. But i don't see the the distance changed at the other side. not 100% sure i configured it correctly.

Site A:

config router rip         config distance             edit 1                 set prefix 172.20.222.222 255.255.255.255                 set distance 20             next         end         config network             edit 1                 set prefix 10.254.240.32 255.255.255.252             next         end         config redistribute "connected"         end         config redistribute "static"             set status enable             set routemap "preferred-rm"         end         config redistribute "ospf"         end         config redistribute "bgp"         end         config redistribute "isis"         end         config interface             edit "GRE"                 set auth-mode text                 set receive-version 2                 set send-version 2             next         end end

Site B:

config router rip         config network             edit 1                 set prefix 10.254.240.32 255.255.255.252             next         end         config redistribute "connected"         end         config redistribute "static"         end         config redistribute "ospf"         end         config redistribute "bgp"         end         config redistribute "isis"         end         config interface             edit "GRE-DC"                 set auth-mode text                 set receive-version 2                 set send-version 2             next         end end

Site B Routing table;

Routing entry for 172.20.222.222/32   Known via "rip", distance 120, metric 6   Last update 01:07:13 ago     10.254.240.33, via GRE-DC So it is not changed to the configurerd distance of 20.

Any help is much apriciated.

Alex Wassink

NSE4,5,7,8 CCNP, ACMP, VCP6-NV

Alex Wassink NSE4,5,7,8 CCNP, ACMP, VCP6-NV
2 REPLIES 2
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

1st off RIP is a mertic based routing protocol, what you  did is not to adjust the metric. We are assuming you want to tag that network with a metric value of 6

You need to deploy offset-list

e.e

config router access-list

edit mynetwork1

set comment "nets to be manipulated by RIP"

config rule

edit 1

set action permit

set prefix 172.20.222.222 255.255.255.255

end

AND

config router rip

config offset-list

edit BUMP6

set access-list mynetwork1

set offset 6

set direction out

set interface <put your outgoing interface here > <-----HERE

end

keep in mind , a metric of 16 is not reachable.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
AlexW
New Contributor III

I found the problem.. the distance should be changed on the receiving end.

From the documentation:

Note 2 : the "distance" has got only local significance on the FortiGate, and has no impact for a route redistribution.

So i set it on the receiving end and it got changed:

Routing entry for 172.20.222.222/32

Known via "rip", distance 10, metric 6, best

Last update 00:00:14 ago

* 10.254.240.33, via GRE-DC

Changing of the metric is done by the routemap. But in oure case this does not have any added value because there are no other routes with these networks. (static ospf etc..)

Thanks for youre input!

Alex Wassink

NSE4,5,7,8 CCNP, ACMP, VCP6-NV

Alex Wassink NSE4,5,7,8 CCNP, ACMP, VCP6-NV
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors