Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rrbd
New Contributor

VPN client for iOS 5.1.1

Hi all, I need fortinet VPN to be used on an iPAD with iOS 5.1.1 to get remote connection to far away PLC devices.

http://forticlient.com/ tell that I could get FortiClient for iOS 5 or later, but behind the link I only find Client for iOS6. Can you help?

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi

seems to me a VERY OLD Release for IOS but anyway following:

- If you are talking about VPN IPSEc Client THERE IS NO VPN IPSec Client for Fortinet on IOS device. This has something to do with the restrictions Apple does. For Android based on Version 5.2 there is one but IOS there is definitly NO ONE. The only client you can get from Fortinet on IOS device is the FortiClient SSL BROWSER ONLY nothing to do with VPN IPSec. The only way you can use this client is BROWSER ONLY. If you liek to use on IOS device IPSec you have to use the embedded Cisco VPN Client. If you like to configure this on FGT use following:

########################### # IPSec Phase 1 IOS Settings (Interface Based) ########################### config vpn ipsec phase1-interface edit ipsec-ios set comments "IPSec Phase1 IOS" set type dynamic set interface [Define your Interface used for ISP like wan1 ] set ip-version 4 set local-gw 0.0.0.0 set nattraversal enable set dhgrp 2 set keylife 28800 set authmethod psk set mode aggressive set peertype any set xauthtype auto set mode-cfg enable set proposal aes256-md5 aes256-sha1 set localid ipsec-ios set localid-type auto set negotiate-timeout 30 set fragmentation enable set dpd enable set forticlient-enforcement disable set npu-offload enable set xauthexpire on-disconnect set authusrgrp [Define your User Group for Authentication] set default-gw 0.0.0.0 set default-gw-priority 0 set assign-ip enable set mode-cfg-ip-version 4 set assign-ip-from range set add-route enable set ipv4-start-ip [Define Start IP for IP Pool] set ipv4-end-ip [Define End IP for IP Pool] set ipv4-netmask [Define Subnet Mask for IP Pool] set dns-mode manual set ipv4-dns-server1 [Define IPv4 for your DNS Server] set ipv4-dns-server2 0.0.0.0 set ipv4-dns-server3 0.0.0.0 set ipv4-wins-server1 0.0.0.0 set ipv4-wins-server2 0.0.0.0 #set ipv4-exclude-range set ipv4-split-include [Object for LAN for using splitt tunneling] #set split-include-service set unity-support enable #set domain #set banner set include-local-lan disable set save-password disable set client-auto-negotiate disable set client-keep-alive disable set psksecret "only4mydomain1!" set keepalive  10 set distance 1 set priority 0 set dpd-retrycount 3 set dpd-retryinterval 5 next end ########################### # IPSec Phase 2 IOS Settings (Interface Based) ########################### config vpn ipsec phase2-interface edit ipsec-ios set comments "IPSec Phase2 IOS" set dst-addr-type subnet set dst-port 0 set encapsulation tunnel-mode set keepalive enable set keylife-type seconds set pfs disable set phase1name ipsec-ios set proposal aes256-md5 aes256-sha1 set protocol  0 set replay enable set route-overlap use-new set single-source disable set src-addr-type subnet set src-port 0 set dst-subnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 set keylifeseconds 1800 set src-subnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next end

After that route the IP Pool Range with static routing to the IPSEc Interface created and based on Phase-1. This is based on FortiOS 5.2 not anymore needed. After that define Policy like:

Source Interface [IPSec Inerface Phase1] Source Address [IP Pool Object] Destination Interface [Lan/Internal] Destination Address [LAN/Internal Object]

Thats it....!

hope this helps....

have fun

Andrea

rrbd

AndreaSoliva wrote:

The only client you can get from Fortinet on IOS device is the FortiClient SSL BROWSER ONLY nothing to do with

Thank you for detailed Answer!

My customer just is checking whethe update to iOS 6 or later will be possible.

If not VPN via SSL would be ok - but what does BROWSER ONLY mean? It is planned to use the VPN for visualization with this

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/microbrowser/id362305097

MicroBrowser, what has nothing to do with Safari or any other well known web browser. That is a very special solution for visualization what also can be used with a normal Browser and Java, but that is not possible on tablets. Do you think that might be possible?

Best Regards

Rainer Bielefeld

AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi

My customer just is checking whethe update to iOS 6 or later will be possible --> I DO NOT THINK SO because of the restrictions of apple. This has nothing to do with IOS version it is very difficult to engineer a vpn client as app because of the restrictions of apple. This shows or is also confirmed that on Android Forti engineered one without problems.

If not VPN via SSL would be ok - but what does BROWSER ONLY mean? --> This means you can get this what you get by browser nothing SMTP, IMAP etc. https only!   hope this help

have fun

Andrea

brucereed

AndreaSoliva wrote:

Hi

My customer just is checking whethe update to iOS 6 or later will be possible --> I DO NOT THINK SO because of the restrictions of apple. This has nothing to do with IOS version it is very difficult to engineer a vpn client as app because of the restrictions of apple. This shows or is also confirmed that on Android Forti engineered one without problems.

If not VPN via SSL would be ok - but what does BROWSER ONLY mean? --> This means you can get this what you get by browser nothing SMTP, IMAP etc. https only! hope this help

have fun

Andrea

This is not Apple's problem -- it's Fortinet's problem. Cisco AnyConnect, Juniper Pulse, and Dell Sonicwall mobile client all do full tunnel SSL VPN on IOS. I can only guess that Fortinet is unwilling to reach an agreement with Apple for the API access. Why is that?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors