Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mwkirk
New Contributor

Using Groups in VPN Tunnels

Has anyone ever had any success using Groups in their Phase2 Selectors when connecting to Third Party Gateways?  It seems to me that when you use groups it just creates a single Phase2 Tunnel.  So, in doing a tunnel with an ASA I did it as a group and seemed it would intermittently work and then not work.  When I looked at the tunnel list in the CLI it only shows a single Phase2 tunnel.  In this case it was only a single subnet on my side and then 3 on the other.  So, I created 3 Phase2 selectors and all is good.

In another case, connecting with a Checkpoint there were 19 destinations so 19 Phase2 selectors were needed...What really gets messed up is when there are multiples on each side so if I had 2 on my end for the Checkpoint example I  would end up needing to create 38 Phase2 selectors.

Has anyone gotten it  to work any differently?  Is there some CLI parameter that would make it generate multiple Phase2 tunnels off a single selector using groups?   I end up just doing a copy/paste to create all the selectors so it isn't terrible  but it does suck when I end up needing to make some small change in Phase2 and have to modify each and every selector.

Thanks

Mike

1 REPLY 1
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You  logic make sense and you finding are the same as mine. It becomes a issue with  multiples and src/dst-names does not seem to work as good as src/dst-subnets. What you could do is to use a summarize  subnet and place the routes for the vpn if you have  networks spaces that contigious

Route-Based vpn to  other fortigate, juniper, forcepoint, paloalto, with  quad Zeros { 0.0.0.0/0 } make this all  easier  and simplified  the phase2 tunnel configuration but without  individual   IPSEC-SA for the layer3 traffic  that crosses the vpn.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors