Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Treuz
New Contributor

Unable to telnet/ping from Fortigate

Hello, i have a Fortigate 90D that is working pretty well. I'm having a problem in configuring a VIP to let an external application access a badge reader in my local LAN via telnet on port 9999, there is an issue (I believe) in the local segment of my network. Telnet (as well as ping) command is working fine from my PC to the badge reader: i can access the device via telnet and interact with the console. The weird thing is that the Fortigate cannot telnet into the badge reader: if I issue "execute telnet x.x.x.x 9999" the connection goes in timeout. FGT can telnet to other machines on the LAN. The problem seems to exist only between the FGT and the badge reader. All the machines (PC, servers) are on the same local subnet: they all go through a single switch that is connected to a Lan port on FGT. Anyone have some clue?

27 REPLIES 27
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

build  ipppol of the vip public address and call that in a policy with  telnet

config firewall policy 

edit 0 

set srcint  <xxxx>

set dstint  <yyyy>

set action accept 

set  srcaddr <insert inside  host obj>

set dstaddr <insetr dst host obj>

set nat enable 

set natpool enable /*  check the command */

set poolname <insert the earlier firewall ippool name >

set schedule always

set service  telnet ping

end

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Treuz
New Contributor

I tried but it still doesn't work... this is my configuration:

config firewall policy edit 23 set srcintf "wan1" set dstintf "internal" set srcaddr "all" set dstaddr "Badge Reader VIP" set action accept set schedule "always" set service "PING" "tcp_9999" "TELNET" set logtraffic all set nat enable set fixedport enable set ippool enable set poolname "VIP public" next end

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Chances are it is simply a misconstructed custom service. Source port range is 1024(or 0)-65535 and the destination port range would be 9999-9999. I'll bet you have 9999 in the source as well. That would definitely make the WAN access fail. I can't say anything toward the Fortigate's access to the device. Also in the policy you posted above, disable NAT and remove the IPPool settings (unset them). IP Pools are source NAT settings. You don't wish to change the incoming IP addresses to that of your Fortigate, do you? NAT should only need to be enabled on outward (WAN) facing policies to mask private IP addresses from reaching the Internet. ISPs won't let them out anyway, but that's another story...

You could probably toss the 'fixedport enable' as well.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

That policy look very bad, 1st are you trying to ACCESS the VIP from wan1 or is the mapped address behind the vip trying to  access something  over the internet and port 9999?

Your not clear in what your doing but you need to clarify is this internet <outward> or <inward> from the  internet to the mapped inside host?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Treuz
New Contributor

Ok perhaps I've misunderstood your suggestion and the policies were messed up.

This is my first version of the VIP/Policy, before opening this thread:

config firewall vip     edit "Badge Reader VIP"         set extip x.x.x.x         set extintf "any"         set portforward enable         set mappedip "192.168.168.210"         set extport 9999         set mappedport 9999     next end config firewall policy     edit 23         set name "Telnet 9999"         set srcintf "wan1"         set dstintf "internal"         set srcaddr "all"         set dstaddr "Badge Reader VIP"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"         set logtraffic all     next end

I have configured several services on the Fortigate to be accessible from the internet and all of them have an almost identical configuration. I'm having problems just with this badge reader. Maybe it's this custom device that is, in someway, corrupted?

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

I have never set up a Virtual IP with the source interface of 'any'. I feel it's poor programming, especially if you know that all of your connections are coming from a single interface. Did you try setting that to 'wan1' instead?

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Treuz

You're right, I was supposed to set wan1 as source interface, I just tried but unfortunately nothing changed, i still cannot telnet to the device from public ip nor from the firewall.

Tomorrow i'll try with connecting the other end of the cable straight into one of the FGT port and let's see if this solves.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW

Any in the vip is okay, now is the  mapped ip address correct?  Is the inside interface correct?

Did you run diag debug flow cmds to ensure it 1st hitting your  outside vip and being DNAT'd ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay the   diag trace shows your denied. It's a strange  trace btw. Let's go over your setup since your  presented mainly items and maybe  confusion in all of it ;)

Can you ping the  device  from the fortigate ? but telnet fails ? Correct? nothing from the internet upstream blocks 9999

Your VIP is facing the internet and the internal host is { 192.168.168.210 }

config firewall address

edit  host_192.168.168.210

set subnet 192.168.168.210/32

end

( example )

config firewall vip     edit "VIP9999"         set uuid cc4a02ce-2f25-51e5-06f9-f0b57d8d1eca         set extip x.x.x.x (  address that presented to the  customer )         set extintf "WAN"        set mappedip 192.168.168.210

set portforward enable

set protocol tcp

set extport 9999

set mapped port 9999

end    

config firewall service custom

edit TCP9999

set tcp-portrange 9999

end

config firewall  policy 

edit 0

set srcintf wan1

set dstintf lan1

set srcaddr all

set dstaddr  VIP9999

set action accept

set schedule always

set service   TCP9999 PING 

end

!!!!! DO NOT  ENABLE NAT ON THAT POLICY !!!!!!

Does your firewall policy look any thing like that ? and has NO nat enable ?

if not can you make it so and retest

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Treuz
New Contributor

My configuration looks almost identical, except that i don't have setup custom address nor service:

config firewall vip
    edit "badge reader"
        set extip x.x.x.x
        set extintf "wan1"
        set portforward enable
        set mappedip "192.168.168.210"
        set extport 9999
        set mappedport 9999
    next
end

config firewall policy
    edit 23
        set name "Telnet 9999"
        set srcintf "wan1"
        set dstintf "internal"
        set srcaddr "all"
        set dstaddr "badge reader"
        set action accept
        set schedule "always"
        set service "ALL"
        set logtraffic all
 next
end

Nothing changed, i'm still not able to telnet into the device from internet. Just to recap: my laptop (192.168.168.32) is able to ping and telnet to the device. The Fortigate (192.168.168.1) is not able to ping nor telnet.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors