Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
turipriv
New Contributor II

Unable to authenticate radius users

Greetings,

I am configuring RADIUS authentication on my Fortigate 101F running FortiOS Version 7.4.3.

The Microsoft NPS Server has been configured according to this guide.

My radius configuration is as follows:

config user radius
edit "RADIUS"
set server "172.16.9.3"
set secret PSK
set nas-ip x.x.x.x
set auth-type ms_chap_v2
set source-ip "x.x.x.x"
next
end

The connection between the Fortigate and the NPS is successful, but test user credentials test fails.

The CLI test output is as follows:

diagnose test authserver radius RADIUS mschap2 user password
authenticate 'user' against 'mschap2' failed, assigned_rad_session_id=1486429090 session_timeout=0 secs idle_timeout=0 secs!

Running a packet capture between the Firewall and the Radius Server I get an access-reject response with the following MS-CHAP error

Code: 3
ID: 190
Length: 42
Auth: 91 C7 F9 28 0A 50 59 33 13 39 B3 75 58 04 AC EE
AVP: l=22 t=Vendor-Specific(26) v=Microsoft(311)
VSA: l=16 t=MS-CHAP-Error(2)
Value: '<00>E=649 R=0 V=3'

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm too lazy for a creative signature
1 Solution
pminarik

What does the NPS log on the Windows server say about?

The error code is very specific and should be very clear, so I would rather trust the NPS. No offense intended. :)

On the NPS server: Event Log Viewer > Custom Views > Server Roles > Network and Policy Access Services.

Find the entry/entries for the rejected attempt. Check what it says. Also pay close attention to and check what rule/policy the attempt matched. (if you have multiple, maybe the matching is not as you expect)

[ corrections always welcome ]

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi

Can you test user credentials by entering "domain\user" as user instead of "user"?

AEK
AEK
turipriv
New Contributor II

Hi,

yes I tried that too, but unfortunatelly I got the same error message.

testrRadius.png

pminarik
Staff
Staff

From MS-CHAPv2 RFC 2759.

649 ERROR_NO_DIALIN_PERMISSION 

This is related to the "dial-in" property of AD users.

You can edit that in each user's Properties > Dial-in tab. (allow | deny | control based on NPS policy)

You can also set the Network Policy in NPS itself to ignore the dialin property. (Overview tab, section "Access Permission").

user_dialin_property.pngNPS_policy.png

turipriv
New Contributor II

Hi,

thank you for your feedback and sorry for my late reply. Unfortunately, both the options you pointed out are already selected in the NPS.

pminarik

What does the NPS log on the Windows server say about?

The error code is very specific and should be very clear, so I would rather trust the NPS. No offense intended. :)

On the NPS server: Event Log Viewer > Custom Views > Server Roles > Network and Policy Access Services.

Find the entry/entries for the rejected attempt. Check what it says. Also pay close attention to and check what rule/policy the attempt matched. (if you have multiple, maybe the matching is not as you expect)

turipriv
New Contributor II

Greetings everyone,

for some reason I fail to understand, the NPS event viewer was not displaying any error messages whatsoever.

Anyway, what I found out is that there was indeed a mismatch in policy due to an incorrect policy ordering.

Once the Fortinet-related policy was ranked-up everything warked fine.

Thanks everyone for your insight.

martisg1
New Contributor

Usually weird thing with NPS it's a certificate issue. Check out the cert being served up by NPS under the network policy settings. The last weird NPS thing problem was generating a new cert with OpenSSL and not using the Microsoft CA cert. Something was up with their PKI and and didn't feel like spending 2 weeks trying to figure it out since its not really my strong suit.

https://vlc.onl/
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors