Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DevinderSharma
New Contributor III

SD-WAN IPSec Main Backup tunnels with Dynamic Public IPs at Branches

Hi All,

Can I leverage SD-WAN with dynamic IP Primary and Backup (LTE) Internet circuits at branch offices to establish tunnels to two circuits (again SD-WAN) at HQ (both with have Static Public IP at this end)?  Thanks so much.

9 REPLIES 9
funkylicious
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi,

Yes, this can be achieved and an example is shown here.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Configure-FortiGate-SD-WAN-with-an-IPSEC-V...

Since the HQ has static IP addresses, you can configure it as a dialup server and the branch as a dialup client ,

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Dialup-VPN-Configuration-Between-Two-Forti...

geek
geek
DevinderSharma
New Contributor III

Thank you for your prompt help. I did look at this link last night but it is not the scenario that I am looking for. The branch has two ISPs (one primary DSL and backup LTE) and both are dynamic. The diagram on the link shows single ISP at branch and it has static IP.

funkylicious

You can create a similar config for the other link, similar cu what is described in the document.

Also, from my experience in order to avoid complex tshoot, I personally prefer to create 1:1 IPsec tunnels, meaning Branch ISP1 <> HQ ISP1 and Branch ISP2 <> HQ ISP2 .

smth that I used in my lab for the Hub as a dialup server ( you can ignore de autodiscovery settings that I used for ADVPN :(

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface
edit "Overlay_P1"
set type dynamic
set interface "port1"
set ike-version 2
set peertype any
set net-device disable
set proposal aes128-sha256
set add-route disable
set localid "LAB-WAN1"
set dpd on-idle
set auto-discovery-sender enable
set nattraversal disable
set network-overlay enable
set network-id 1
set dpd-retryinterval 60
next
edit "Overlay_P2"
set type dynamic
set interface "port2"
set ike-version 2
set peertype any
set net-device disable
set add-route disable
set localid "LAB-WAN2"
set dpd on-idle
set auto-discovery-sender enable
set nattraversal disable
set network-id 2
set dpd-retryinterval 60
next
end

geek
geek
funkylicious

and below is from one of my branches.

again, please note that the PSK is missing and you can ignore the ADVPN config.

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface
edit "Overlay_P1"
set interface "port1"
set ike-version 2
set peertype any
set net-device enable
set add-route disable
set localid "B1-WAN1"
set dpd on-idle
set auto-discovery-receiver enable
set auto-discovery-shortcuts dependent
set nattraversal disable
set network-id 1
set remote-gw WAN1
next
edit "Overlay_P2"
set interface "port2"
set ike-version 2
set peertype any
set net-device enable
set add-route disable
set localid "B1-WAN2"
set dpd on-idle
set auto-discovery-receiver enable
set auto-discovery-shortcuts dependent
set nattraversal disable
set network-id 2
set remote-gw WAN2
next
end

geek
geek
DevinderSharma
New Contributor III

Appreciate again. The requirements are bit complex. The branch side has Cellular LTE connection only to be used when primary DSL is down. So, I cannot have nailed down 2 tunnels from one-to-one circuit. I can use Main backup feature where backup tunnel will get created when monitored status of primary is down. I have to study on the ADVPN topic to see if that will make sense.  Also, tunnel from branch should be able to failover to second HQ ISP also if main ISP circuit at HQ fails. I guess I can use SDWAN feature at the HQ site and then use main-backup tunnel monitored feature at the branch site. Now need to determine what remote GW IP to use at branch to get to two ISPs based SDWAN end at HQ.

DevinderSharma

I think I can create two Phase 1 VPN confgs at branches to specify two separate remote GW IPs. 

funkylicious

Yes you can, and since both endpoint are FortiGates you can configure the phase2 selectors are 0.0.0.0/0 for remote and local and control everything from static routes and firewall policies.

You can have 2 static routes for the same remote subnet on both devices, one using the ISP1 IPsec tunnel with a lower AD and the 2nd having ISP2 IPsec with a higher AD in the routing table.

geek
geek
DevinderSharma

For branch, under Config vpn ipsec phase1-interface, I find that I can specify two tunnels, one primary and second monitored backup and each can have their own remote gateway. The gateway command (set remote-gw) only takes one IP. I was hoping It will support two, so that first one is main and second one is backup.  Worst case, I can have first tunnel (primary-backup) from branches, to  main ISP at HQ and second tunnel from branches from DSL to second ISP at HQ. The chances of main ISP to go down and at the same time DSL at branch to also go down are rare.  

funkylicious
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sorry, I was refering to the fact that you can create 2 separate IPsec tunnel on the brach, each with the remote ip of the HQ WAN/ISP interface.

When the ISP1 interface will go down, the tunnel will also go down and traffic should be steered using the ISP2 interface and IPsec tunnel when that happens, assuming that you have the correct entried in the routing table.

geek
geek
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors