Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mirza_Asad2723
New Contributor

PINGING WITH REPEAT COUNT AND SOURCE ADDRESS

Dear Concern,

I want to do long ping to my destination (public IP) from specific source address which is assigned on my WAN interface. Please guide me and share format with example which include all these three parameters (Source IP Address, Repeat Count, destination IP). Further how can i check my last pinging with ping-options in logs or anywhere in my FortiGate. 

I using these step, please confirm me is it right or wrong:

FGT201F # execute ping-options source 59.37.244.221

FGT201F # execute ping-options repeat-count 50

FGT201F # execute ping 205.89.157.8

After using above these three command at the same time, its pinging with defined repeat-count but not sure that is it using my defined source address or not. 

3 REPLIES 3
syordanov
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Using the commands above Fortigate will generate 50 ICMP messages with source IP 59.37.244.221 to destination IP 205.89.157.8. If you want to track the ICMP you can open a new SSH session and run the following commands :

Option No1 :

diagnose sniffer packet any "host 59.37.244.221 and host 205.89.157.8 and icmp" 4 0 l

Option No2:

Session list :

diag sys session filter src 59.37.244.221
diag sys session filter dst 205.89.157.8
diag sys session proto 1
diag sys session list

Best regards,

Fortinet

Mirza_Asad2723
New Contributor

Thanks for your response

According to option 1, what is "4 0 1" & according to the option 2, what is "proto 1" and can i use all these 4 commands at a time while pining to destination on another fortigate CLI?

syordanov

Hello Mirza_Asad2723,

For option No1, '4 0 l'  , 4 means "Print header of the packet + interface name", 0 means unlimited packet capture, l means local FW time as a timestamp .

For Option No2, proto 1 means, filter by protocol No1 which is ICMP(ping), if you want to filter by source/destination IP address, you can skip 'diag sys session proto 1 ' .

Best regards,

Fortinet

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors