Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ghani
New Contributor

DNS resolution over IPSec VPN Tunnnel

I have an IPsec VPN tunnel between a FortiGate and VPN gateway. The Tunnel works fine and is pingable. The DNS is on the remote site. I can ping the IP addresses of the DNS server but the DNS resolution is not working over IPSec tunnel. I have looked this problem up and found that I must perhaps define a domain in my IPSec  phase1-parameters through CLI. HOwever set domain command is not available on my fortigate CLI. I have tried to set mode-cfg but still no luck. Cloud you please let me know how can I set domain in phase parameters or perhaps another possible solution to this DNS resolution problem. ? 

3 REPLIES 3
mgoswami
Staff
Staff

Hi,

You can use this command:
For IPsec VPN.

# config vpn ipsec phase1-interface
(phase1-interface) edit <VPN TUNNEL NAME>
(VPN TUNNEL NAME) set domain abcd.local
(VPN TUNNEL NAME) end

Refer to this link:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-DNS-resolution-over-IPsec-SSL-VPN/ta-p/191...
bogdan1
New Contributor

I have the same issue! mgoswami, you gave the same instruction the guy said he did not have an option for? Maybe read and be helpful before posting.

funkylicious
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi,

At the bottom of the KB, it says that both unity-support and mode-cfg have to be enabled for IKEv1.

Have you done it (enabled) for both of them and are you using IKEv1 ?

Note:
The set domain command will be available only when 'mode-cfg' and 'unity-support' are enabled. These commands are only available when using IKEv1.

geek
geek
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors