Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
michawel
New Contributor

DDoS attack reaction - what Fortinet can do

Hi,

We have customer (school) who wants to block DDoS attacks from internal network to external destinations. No problem to do this. But requirement is to block this source IP completely for a while. Is this possible?

I know that I can block communication like ICMP (in case of ICMP flood) or HTTPS in case of web DDoS. But what about complete blocking?

Usually those users are students with laptops affected by some viruses or malware. And those laptops can´t be managed by Forticlient or something like this.  What they want is that in case system detect DDoS pattern client is completely blocked for about 2 hours  (for all communication). This function is quite new so I don´t have experience with this in real traffic.

1 REPLY 1
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Yes, a Fortigate should be able to do this:

Create a DoS_Policy, then edit the policy in CLI and choose the protocol you want, here is an example for UDP_Flood:

Firewall_name (anomaly) # edit udp_flood

Firewall_name (udp_flood) # get

name : udp_flood status : disable log : disable action : pass quarantine : none threshold : 2000 threshold(default) : 2000

Firewall_name (udp_flood) # set quarantine

none Quarantine is disabled. attacker Block all traffic sent from attacker's IP address. The attacker's IP address is also added to the banned user list. The target's address is not affected.

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors