Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
viperdak
New Contributor

Create trunk port (and access ports) on FG 140D

Been banging my head against this for two days. What I want to do is: 1. Assign ports 1-20 to VLAN 10 2. Assign ports 21-34 to VLAN 20 3. Assign ports 35 and 36 as layer 2 TRUNK ports ( so I can plug in an access point or another switch if I need to) With the Fortigate 140D-POE I was hoping to be able to use it as an all in one solution at a remote office and not have to buy a seperate switch just for device access. I should be able to do everything with this Fortigate box but I can' t for the life of me figure it out. Docs are very weak when it comes to trunking and vlan support and only show basic examples. I' ve tried every combination of hardware switch, software switch, vlan, etc that I can think of. Has anyone else run into a similar scenario? This should be a simple thing to do and I' m assuming it should be a very common thing most folks would need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Landon
2 REPLIES 2
viperdak
New Contributor

Can' t be done according to TAC. What i did to get around this was to create two hardware switches instead of VLANs. Controlling access through f/w policy. Then i created a software switch and added two VLAN' s (with two different networks) for the access points. Seems to work just fine. Landon
lincostinko

Landon,

I had the same issue but I was able to create a comparable solution using transparent mode and forwarding domains while keeping a single virtual domain (VDOM).  Here would be my config for your example:

## Configure Transparent Mode

config system settings

set opmode transparent

end 

## Configure access ports for VLAN 10

config system interface

edit "port1"   

set vdom "root"   

set type physical   

set forward-domain 10   

next

... (mirror the above config for the other ports, up to port20) 

## Configure access ports for VLAN 20

edit "port21"

set vdom "root"

set type physical

set forward-domain 20 

... (mirror the above config for the other ports, up to port34) 

## Configure a LAG interface

edit "port35"

set vdom "root"

set type physical

next

edit "port36"

set vdom "root"

set type physical

next

edit "po1"

set vdom "root"

set type aggregate