Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Failed to acquire IP address?

Hi there On two client computers I have the following problem. When I try to connect to the remote network (FGT60) everything looks great (ie negotiation succeded! etc) but the remote network is not reachable. After a while (a couple of minutes) FortiClient says that it' s having problems connecting to the remote gateway. The FortiClient log says that it fails to acquire an IP address. However, it is configured for manual VIP. The connection file is exported from another computer where it works (but this computer is not connected while I' m trying to connect from the troublesome machines). If I look at my network connections I can see that the virtual fortinet network adapter goes from " not connected" to " Acquiring IP address" and the nothing happens. On the computer where it works, it stays in that state for a second or so before it switches to " Connected" . One of the troublesome computers is same model and set up in the same way as the working one, the other is different. OS is XP Pro on one and XP Home on the other. Oh, and the exported connection file works on 15 other computers... I' m stuck! Anyone?
16 REPLIES 16
vanc
New Contributor II

What' s the FortiClient version?
Not applicable

It' s 3.0.395.
vanc
New Contributor II

Probably an installation problem. Please follow the instructions below and see what will happen. 1) Log on as administrator. 2) Launch a DOS window. 3) Issue this command. net start fortips 4) Take a look at the output. If it says " The requested service has already been started" , the installation if OK. Otherwise, you may need to reinstall FortiClient. Make sure to thoroughly uninstall it first.
Not applicable

It says " The requested service has already been started" . I have uninstalled/reinstalled it with no improvement. I have uninstalled and then manually cleaned the registry, deleted files etc., rebooted and made a fresh install. No difference. I updated the drivers for the NIC' s. No difference. I tried both using the wireless and the regular NIC. No difference. I tried another version of FortiClient (3.0.311 Consumers Edition) but it' s all the same... I cannot think of anything else to try. It seems like the virtual adapter never gets the ip address configuration from FortiClient. Yes, I have seen the note about disabling " Routing and Remote Access Windows" service. It is disabled (and as I understand it it shouldn' t matter as I' m not using DHCP).
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Try the latest version of the FortiClient. My two cents.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Not applicable

The download center has been down both yesterday and today. Anyone that knows of a mirror, if there is one?
noiz
New Contributor

you have mentioned that you have copy from other pc which was work. and the setting was using manual VIP. i suspect that during you have connected to the fortigate the other pc also connecting in. so the ip was confilct. how about you try change th VIP with available ip before you upgrade the version.
Not applicable

Thanks for your replies! No, I was a little unclear about it. I' m not running the same VIP address, they' re from a series dedicated for this, excluded from the DHCP scope and unique for each machine. It is not a case of address conflict. I still can' t access the downloads page...
Not applicable

Alright, downloaded 3.0.457, uninstalled - restarted - installed - restarted. Still the same. From the log (slightly anonymized): <Type>Error <Time>2007-07-06 15:20:09 <Source>VPN program=ipsec msg=loc_ip=192.168.1.10 loc_port=4500 rem_ip=xx.xx.xxx.xxx rem_port=500 out_if=0 vpn_tunnel=My Tunnel status=negotiate_error msg=" Failed to acquire an IP address"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors