Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jonjoel
New Contributor

Fortigate Migration - Vdoms & Vdoms Links

Hi everyone!

I have been migrating the configuration from a FortiGate with FortiOS 5.0 to a new FortiGate with FortiOS 7.0. All the rules and interfaces were transferred successfully, but the VDOMs and VDOMs Links were not transferred.

Does anyone know why this happens, or do they know a way to migrate them?

4 REPLIES 4
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What do you mean by migrate? Did you follow the recommended upgrade path from fortios 5.x to 7.x 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Jonjoel
New Contributor

Yes, I do.

By migrating, I mean downloading the backup files from the old fortiGate and the new one. Then copy the path with the information of the new one and paste it in the backups of the old one. Then I uploaded those files to the new FortiGate, but the only thing that didn't transfer were the VDOMs.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You really can't make a backup from a different version fortios and just import it in. It has to deal with the 1st 2-3 lines of the backup and many items within the fortios major version might change

e.g

#config-version=FGT60F-7.0.1-FW-build0157-210714:opmode=0:vdom=0:user=kfelix

#conf_file_ver=576736798489189

#buildno=0157

If your config is not complex and the new fortigate is the same model, just copy out the interface, address, custom-services, vpn-settings, gobal settings, etc....... and paste it in to the new cfg and look things over.

In your case you might want to go back and extract the vdom settings to include policies and extract that information and add it to the new fortios version.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Jonjoel
New Contributor

When I did the process the first time I did what you mention of the 3 lines. Even so, I will do the transfer process again and verify the cfg. If I do it and the VDOMs are reflected, I'll write you back.

Thanks, in advance.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors