Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Seppel
Contributor II

Out of Band Management

Hi everyone

We use various fortigates with fortiswitches. in the meantime i have a fundamental question for which i have not yet found an answer. so would be happy about your experiences or inputs.

how do you manage fortiswitches. some of the devices have a mgmt port that could actually be patched to another switch and vice versa. but it's not a real out of band management. how do you do this? in principle, you could define a mgmt vlan and patch the switches to it. but is a bit ugly. this is also not possible via the default fortilink, since the network assigns an apipa address. Does it make sense not to disconnect the fortilink via apipa so that the network can be routed?

regards,

andy

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager

FortiEMS

FortiSandbox 1000D

FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager FortiEMS FortiSandbox 1000D FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------
1 REPLY 1
mle2802
Staff
Staff

Hi @Seppel,

I believe that you can modify the Fortilink IP to be routable and use it for management purpose. AIPA is configured by default but you can change it. Please refer to this document for more information "https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/6.4.6/fortiswitch-fortilink-cookbook/76442/fortilink-...

Regards,
Minh

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors