Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Oguzhandag
New Contributor

IP address logging behind Fortigate 30E

Hello, I have an application that logs the IP addresses of users that access it. When the application is put behind a Fortigate 30E firewall, it only logs IP address of the firewall. Is there a policy that I can apply to forward the actual IP addresses of the users to the application?

4 REPLIES 4
SJFriedl
New Contributor II

Oguzhandag wrote:

Is there a policy that I can apply to forward the actual IP addresses of the users to the application?

My suspicion is that the firewall rule allowing the access has the NAT setting turned on, which does exactly what you're seeing. NAT is often unnecessary, especially with a Virtual IP that *already* does NAT.

lobstercreed

Exactly as Steve said.  This confuses a lot of novices, but never enable on NAT on an "incoming" (from the Internet) rule.  Never.  NAT is for outgoing only.

Richie086
New Contributor

I am having the same issue.   I need to be able to forward the IP address of the host making a request to servers behind our FortiGate 100E firewall and we are only seeing the firewall's IP instead of the IP address from the host making the request.  

Oguzhandag

Thanks, turning off NAT solved the problem.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors