Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
yanafig
New Contributor

Connecting a physical interface to a software switch

I have a physical interface which is also my dhcp server. I would like to configure a software switch and set one of its port as dhcp client (4 ports). Is it possible to config it? and how to do it?   FortiGate 1100E v6.2.3 build5401 (GA)
8 REPLIES 8
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

As you can understand when you configure a soft-switch, once it's configured, you can't configure any member interface separately any more. They're now just one interface.

yanafig

This is what I want to do..

Port 1-2 (my dhcp server) (link aggregate)

Port 3-4 (my software switch)

I would like my software switch to get an ip address (dhcp client) from port1-2 (dhcp server), and connect an end device to my software switch (port 3-4) so that my end device will get an ip address from my dhcp server. Is this possible? 

Toshi_Esumi

You can not have two interfaces "port1" and "soft-switch" in the same subnet on one router(FortiGate). I don't know why you need to do that but only way I can see is to separate them in two VDOMs (two routers).

yanafig

toshiesumi wrote:

You can not have two interfaces "port1" and "soft-switch" in the same subnet on one router(FortiGate). I don't know why you need to do that but only way I can see is to separate them in two VDOMs (two routers).

Will soft switch work even without IP? Soft switch will only forward the dhcp request from dhcp server (port 1) to any devices which is connected to my soft switch? Its like ill use soft switch as a normal layer 2

Toshi_Esumi

I never tried before, but might work. I would assume you can easily test it since 1100E has many ports.

But I would also assume you have a decent switch in addition to the 1100E, which is designed to do that kind of job. So I would let the switch do switching, not the FGT.

yanafig

toshiesumi wrote:

I never tried before, but might work. I would assume you can easily test it since 1100E has many ports.

But I would also assume you have a decent switch in addition to the 1100E, which is designed to do that kind of job. So I would let the switch do switching, not the FGT.

Noted on this. Thank you

jiramdev

Step 1 – Create Software Switch Interface. The first step is to create the software switch interface, assign it an interface name and configure an IP address. Step 2 – Configure a DHCP Server. Step 3 – Configure Firewall Policy. Step 3 – Verify Configuration.
yanafig
New Contributor

toshiesumi wrote:

As you can understand when you configure a soft-switch, once it's configured, you can't configure any member interface separately any more. They're now just one interface.

This is what I want to do..

Port 1-2 (my dhcp server) (link aggregate)

Port 3-4 (my software switch)

I would like my software switch to get an ip address (dhcp client) from port1-2 (dhcp server), and connect an end device to my software switch (port 3-4) so that my end device will get an ip address from my dhcp server. Is this possible? 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors