Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vasugk
New Contributor III

Configure SNMP FortiGate 100D

Hi All,

We want to configure SNMP monitoring using PRTG trial version for short time later planning to go with Licensed PRTG. As I am new to this monitoring Application and SNMP in the FortiGate I have below concern 

1) Can we enable the SNMP on LAN port at Production time?

2) Will FortiGate Support Trial version of PRTG?

Kindly suggest on this. Soon I need to enable monitoring our WAN links.  

Thank you,

Regards,

Srini

3 Solutions
Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi, 1) Yes 2) Yes 3) You have to convert/import the mibs from fortigate into prtg. Best,

Markus

View solution in original post

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi Srini It's just a warning that you are connected (gui) on this interface, to be shure not disabling http/s and break the access to your box. Enabling SNMP on any interface don't disrupt traffic (just testet in my lab with 61F) - enabled SNMP on my wan interface while pinging google... no ping lost Best,

Markus

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
vasugk
New Contributor III

Hi Markus,

Thank you for reply

I enabled the SNMP on LAN interface, need to configure on SNMP on FortiGate. Once again thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Regards,

Srini

6 REPLIES 6
Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi, 1) Yes 2) Yes 3) You have to convert/import the mibs from fortigate into prtg. Best,

Markus

vasugk
New Contributor III

Hi Markus,

Thank you for reply,

Once more thing can I check is it necessary both FortiGate Lan interface and PRTG Server should be in same subnet or reachability is enough?

Thank you.

Regards,

Srini 

Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi Srini Reachability should be ok. Best,

Markus

vasugk
New Contributor III

Hi Markus,

Thank you for reply,

When I tried to enable SNMP on LAN interface it give me the warring saying the "Port is connected" is it common because I am bit worry if it affects live traffic. 

Regards,

Srini

Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi Srini It's just a warning that you are connected (gui) on this interface, to be shure not disabling http/s and break the access to your box. Enabling SNMP on any interface don't disrupt traffic (just testet in my lab with 61F) - enabled SNMP on my wan interface while pinging google... no ping lost Best,

Markus

vasugk
New Contributor III

Hi Markus,

Thank you for reply

I enabled the SNMP on LAN interface, need to configure on SNMP on FortiGate. Once again thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Regards,

Srini

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors