Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Zenith
New Contributor

Replace internal storage in Fortigate 90D?

Hi guys,

We have a Fortigate 90D we use for a test environment. When I tried to access the Web GUI recently I found that after you enter credentials it would either have or give a HTTP 500 error.  Accessing via SSH worked OK until I tried to format the log disk, since then it also hangs after you authenticate.  It is processing regular firewall traffic no problem.  It's in a remote location so I'll need to drop over and get console access to it, but wonder if I could get some pointers before I get there!

We had an almost identical issue with a 100D a couple of years ago that turned out to be a failed/failing log disk which was swapped out under warranty.  This test appliance though is long out of warranty and not really worth repairing, but if we could just disable logging and stop it considering the failed disk (if that's possible) it would be great!

Before I lost access via SSH I had turned off logging to disk but still could not access the web GUI, hence I was trying a format of the log disk then lost access over SSH as well.

The firmware is on 5.2.3Build670, which from memory also has some issues around this problem.  Not sure if the issue is caused by this firmware version (unlikely) or just that this version does not gracefully handle a log disk failure like later versions.

So any suggested course of action?  I can get console access, wipe it, get it onto a later firmware version no problem, maybe that will be enough?  If not is there a way to disable the log disk altogether so we can continue to use it without logging?

Cheers for any insight!

2 REPLIES 2
Zenith
New Contributor

I finally got out to the site to take a look.  I formatted the disk over the serial management port and TFTP'd a later firmware onto it, but after it booted up (very slowly) it got to the login prompt and quite quickly started throwing EXT3 disk errors.  So I think the internal storage is toast, I'm sure as a result of logging being turned on without understanding the consequences.

It's well outside warranty so I popped the cover off and found the 32Gb Flash module is easily replaced, the only problem is finding a replacement at a price that makes sense :).  The part number is deedm-32gj30ac1qn, which is an Innodisk 32Gb Mini PCIeDOM 1ME3.

Has anybody tried replacing one of these themselves, ideally with something more easy to source than the original Innodisk module?  Most of what I'm coming across is mini SATA rather than mini PCIe.

Thanks for any insights.  This is a test device so happy to tinker with it mostly out of interest than a need for a stable system afterward :).

VincentCa1975

Hi Zenith,

have you found any solution for the storage replacement? I have 80D and I would like to change the storage if it is possible. Most likely it is not just a matter for swapping the modules (if I can find the right one of course).

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors