Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
akomili
New Contributor

Site-to-site VPN between Fortigate 1100E and Meraki MX firewall

Hello

We're going to be setting up a S2S VPN tunnel between our FG 1100E in our production data center and a Meraki MX firewall at one of our branch sites for sending backups. The FG is in multi-VDOM mode, with the WAN connection being in a transparent vWire configuration. What's best practice in terms of which VDOM to put the S2S VPN tunnel in? Since the WAN VDOM is operating in transparent mode I assume doing any kind of routing there is not an option. Are there any downsides of putting the tunnel in a separate VDOM?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Why the transparent vdom to begin with? Sounds like youre making it more complex and you surely can't control traffic already encapsulated in IPSEC via the transparent-vdom.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
akomili
New Contributor

That's a good question. It was set up like this before I got involved so I'm not sure. Does this complicate things a lot? What setup would you recommend?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Will that depends are you doing multiple NAT/routed domains?

Do you really need a stack-multi-vdom where you run other vdom thru a primary vdom?

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
akomili
New Contributor

Likely not, I don't think we have a reason for separating out into different VDOMs. Perhaps we need to take a step back and re-evaluate the bigger picture. We're going to be moving all of our routing off our old firewalls onto these, the transparent mode setup was just a temporary solution for the evaluation and to give us IPS at the perimeter. We want to keep things simple so if a single VDOM is the way to go then we can do that. We have a secondary unit that we can reconfigure rather than messing with the production unit if needed. If there is a way to get the S2S up and running in it's current state though that would be great.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You can run IPS in nat/routed mode fwiw.  But yes, you could set a 2nd unit up and deployed. Stack vdom do have purpose but typically you have a need.If you do have a need for emac and sharing a interface within multiple vdom please review this article 

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.0/cookbook/212317/enhanced-mac-vlans

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors