Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
futureweb
New Contributor

FGT100F 10Gb Uplink to HPE SN2100M Switch through 100Gb to 4x25Gb Breakout Cable possible?

Hey there,

we need to uplink our 2x SN2100M Switches to a FGT100F.

does anyone know if the FGT100F happens to be compatible with the HPE 100Gb QSFP28 to 4x25Gb SFP28 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable? (https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/options/cables-cable-kits/direct-attach-copper-active-optical-cables/direc...) Unfortunately, the firewall in our DC is 400km away, so I can't just test it out quickly. The 2xSN2100M are configured as MLAG and I would like to wire the FGT100F to each one of the 2 switches using LAG (LACP ??) Many Thanks, bye from Austria Andreas

5 REPLIES 5
futureweb
New Contributor

This would be the planed Setup with the FGT100F + 2x HPE SN2100M

If the Breakout Cable wouldn't work we would need to solve it through SFP+ Plug, Fibre Cable + QSFP28 Plug on Switch Side ... would like to avoid that because the SN2100M already has only a few ports and we would have to use 1 port per switch for the uplink that we could otherwise use for 4x25Gb ... ;)

thx Andreas

Toshi_Esumi

First I have to tell I'm no expert about QSFP28 100G ports. But I found this FS.com's article saying the port config needs to be changed to 40G then QSFP+ - 4xSFP+ DAC cable can connect between them, which kind of make sense to me. 10G side talks 10Gig only so it doesn't care if it's SFP+ or SFP28 modules. But 100G can split only to 4x25G, not to 4x10G.

Toshi_Esumi

futureweb

Hey Toshi,

thx for your reply! :)

The SN2100M are capable of 10/25/40/50/100Gb on their Ports, so this shouldn't be a Problem.

I am more wondering whether the Fortigate can handle a third-party DAC plug. Especially with switches, I know that the devices are very sensitive if they are not an original DAC from the manufacturer. With Fortigate I got no empirical values so far because no DAC has yet been installed in Fortigate by me.

Andy

Toshi_Esumi

As there are some posts in the past for this topic, FGT doesn't check vendor ID on SFPs. I'm naturally assuming SFP+s as well.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors