Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tknakam
New Contributor

Replay detection?

Hello! Community,

I use Fortigate 100D/60D and 80C

I made a Site-site VPN connection with Azure, using the cookbook site as a guide.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.0/azure-cookbook/989216/connecting-a-local-fortigat...

The VPN connection was easy. Ping reply from Azure to Local LAN   or Local LAN to Azure is no problem.

But Only 60D,

It can communicate via Ping, but if access Remote Desktop or Shared Folders, Access GUI to Fortigate,etc via Azure,

all of Ping connections are lost. After a few minutes, communication resumes,again.

According to the report of the person who has a similar problem, I found that setting VPN Tunnels Phase2

"Replay detection" to Enable would solve the problem.

60D(Firmware :v6.0.12)…Must enable "Replay detection" so the VPN tunnel became very stable.

80C(Firmware : v5.6.13)..According to Forti Cookbook, set it to disable.but VPN tunnel is stable.

100D(Firmware :v6.2.3)..According to Forti Cookbook, set it to disable.but VPN tunnel is stable.

Why is the setting different depending on the Fortigate models?

Is there anyone who undertsand this matter.....? 

Best Regards.,

Taka

1 REPLY 1
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Not sure what your  questions are. But I have never to mess with replay protection to make a vpn stable. It should be on by default with latest fortiOS versions fwiw.

1st you need to understand what replay window does. It's a means to monitor X amount of ESP sequence from the highest received seq#. So what that means, you have a window that's set and if a previous or older sequence is received that's lower than the high sequence,  replay protection kicks in. It controls and protects from already processed ESP datagrams. 

I'm only seen the above becoming an issues if you have poor infrastructure, poor/weird ECMP and with poor infrastructure , or high queuing when COS/QOS that drain high-buckets before lower buckets where packets could be delayed.

So in your case, do you see icmp-responses being duplicated between ike-gateway ? High packet lost ? traceroutes that shows weird ECMP along the path? You said pings works ( guessing  ) between  local+remote subnets, do you see packet lost or out or order or duplicate pings aka DUP! ?

Have you double check the ph1/ph2 settings on local and remote gateways? What device are you connecting the fgt to ? Have you ran "diag debug flow" ? What is the replaywindow size ? ( should be 2048  it used to be 1024 in older fortios versions...I do not believe you can even set the window size  it's either enable or disable ) 

Ken Felix Security Blog: ESP replay window enabling & disable Fortigate (socpuppet.blogspot.com)

e.g

# cli cmd 

diag vpn tunnel list | grep replaywin

And lastly, have you check the path-mtu? You might need to adjust the TCP traffic path-mtu.

# cli cmd

diag vpn tunnel list | grep mtu

I would determine the path-mtu and ensure that traffic ( syn and syn-ack  tcp.mss ) is clamp to the path mtu or smaller  than the above listed output.

# cli cmd  to set syn/syn-ack size

config firewall policy 

#

# policy number that controls the traffic

#

edit <xxxxxxx>        

set tcp-mss-sender1380      set tcp-mss-receiver 1380

end

YMMV,  but window-replay is probably not your issue.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors