Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
herta
New Contributor II

scp copy hangs

FortiGate 6.0.6 FortiClient 6.2.6.0951 When I scp copy a file from my laptop at home over an SSL VPN to a server at work, scp reports that the file is copied 100%, and then hangs.  I.e., the command prompt does not return and 'netstat -an' shows that the connection remains ESTABLISHED. Using 'scp -vvv', this is the final part of the exchange: debug1: Entering interactive session. debug1: pledge: network debug3: receive packet: type 91 debug2: channel_input_open_confirmation: channel 0: callback start debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY debug3: ssh_packet_set_tos: set IP_TOS 0x20 debug2: client_session2_setup: id 0 debug1: Sending command: scp -v -t . debug2: channel 0: request exec confirm 1 debug3: send packet: type 98 debug2: channel_input_open_confirmation: channel 0: callback done debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768 debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 2097152 debug3: receive packet: type 99 debug2: channel_input_status_confirm: type 99 id 0 debug2: exec request accepted on channel 0 Sending file modes: C0644 97 ssh.txt debug2: channel 0: rcvd ext data 23 Sink: C0644 97 ssh.txt debug2: channel 0: written 23 to efd 6 ssh.txt                                                                     100%   97     6.1KB/s   00:00 And after that last line, again, nothing. I can ssh into that server without problem.  The file that has been copied is complete and has the same md5sum as on my laptop. The ssh session is logged in the Traffic log on FortiGate. The scp copy is nowhere to be found. A partner, who connects to our site over IPsec VPN reported a similar problem.  He had connected to one of our servers using ssh, opened a file on the server and wanted to cut-n-paste text from his laptop to that open file.  About a dozen lines were copied, then the entire putty terminal seemed frozen.  <Ctrl/c>, <Ctrl/z> had no effect. I can similate that same behaviour on my SSL VPN connection.

This only happens when copying over VPN.  Local copies (which pass through the same firewall) are fine.  I tried 5 different servers running Linux and different versions of Solaris, all the copies demonstrate the same behavior. Anyone have any idea what might be going on or how to debug this? Kind regards, Herta

1 REPLY 1
herta
New Contributor II

This issue resolved itself after upgrading our FortiGate.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors