Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dave_Flink
New Contributor

UTM Logs: Traffic vs Web Filter

Hi,

I am investigating UTM firewall logs and I see two different type of logs that I need to understand better.

I have drilled down to a specific domain and IP-address of interest.

- UTM: Web Filter logs domain information and the amount of bytes sent/received. - Traffic: records traffic flow information such as: HTTP/HTTPS request and response and also stores bytes sent/received.

Are the logs related to each other or are they not related at all?

I see the amount of connections between both type of logs is almost similar. But when I look at the total amount of bytes between both logs there is a huge difference (fields: rcvdbyte and sentbyte) The ports being used and looked at are only HTTP and HTTPS.

I hope somebody can shed some light on this.

Thank you in advance,

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
Dave_Flink
New Contributor

Anybody here who can assist with the question above?

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Hmm, I suspect you see higher numbers in the traffic logs.

Webfilter (WF) is content inspection for HTTP only. Depending on the settings, all or only some traffic might be logged according to matching categories. Even with all categories on Monitor, there is web traffic not matching any of these. You may or may not block this 'unmatched' traffic in the WF.

Does this correspond to what you are seeing?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Dave_Flink

Ah that might answer my question, at least it makes a lot of sense. I did not configure the firewall so I will verify this next week.

Thank you for your swift answer!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors