Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vmiro
New Contributor

Multiple Spanning Tree support on Fortigate

Hi,

I need to connect Fortigate 100F to two L2 Cisco switches with MST.

Documentation on STP generally on Fortigate is sparse. I'm not sure is MST supported on Fortigate and how to configure it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mIRO

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm pretty sure MST is not supported on fortiagtes. Fortiswicth yes but the firewall not. I would inspect the datasheet 

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/FortiOS.pdf

And then explore config sys switch-controller

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
vmiro
New Contributor

Hi,

I just put my hands on the device and found a command:

"config switch-controller stp-instance"

then find that a MST instances are supported from 6.2 version. But, I'm afraid this is related only for switches managed by FGT...FortiSwitch.

vmiro
New Contributor

Hi,

then find that a MST instances are supported from 6.2 version. But, I'm afraid this is related only for switches managed by FGT...FortiSwitch.

vmiro
New Contributor

Hi,

BroadAspect
New Contributor

In our experience, we never use a FortiGate as a 'switch' for any purpose and there is a reason the switch feature doesn't exist on the larger models. We only use FortiGate's as routed interfaces for access or trunks to our customer's core aggregation switch(es).  If the customer only has Cisco, or only Meraki switches you may find some success on most days. But supporting the classic customer that has three or four switch vendors of varous ages and capabilities, some managed, some not, and a mix of 4 port switches under desks. You will want to beat your head against a wall if you try to use the FortiGate as an aggregation point. Maybe someone is more clever than us, but we find its not worth the hassle. 

Regards, Nick

User since FortiOS 3.5

Regards, Nick User since FortiOS 3.5
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors