Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Globox
New Contributor

Call start latency, because of VPN ?

Hi everyone,

I am a technician in a call center and I have a problem with a customer's softphone.

So here's the problem: Some of my agents are on a laptop (Dell, i3 gen10 2.10Ghz, 8 Go RAM) and all these agents have the same problem: the start of a call is cut for a few seconds (whether incoming or outgoing call). It's very embarrassing for the QoS.

These agents are at home and connected to the network via an SSL-VPN portal. They all have a good internet connection.

On site (therefore without VPN), no problem.

For agents using a desktop, no problem too, even at home.

So my question is: do you think the problem of latency at the start of a call is due to they are using a VPN?

Thank you in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

You said a desktop at home didn't have the problem, which must be using SSL VPN as well. Are those laptop  connected to home wifi? If that's the commonality among them, I would look into their wifi.

Globox

My bad, I forgot to precise that. No they are not using wifi. I tell them not to do it because it could cause problems precisely.

Toshi_Esumi

I would look muck closer into the machine difference between the desktop and laptop at the particular user who has both. It doesn't make sense one works fine without the problem while the other doesn't when both use the same SSL VPN from the same LAN/subnet.

Toshi_Esumi

like power control settings.

Globox

I already check the power control settings, there are all to the maximum, but one thing I haven't tried is to let the laptop in charged during the call. Can it makes the difference ?

ede_pfau

Isn't there a setting to "let this device go into sleep mode" for the WiFi adapter? You won't find that (often) on a LAN adapter.

Personally, I would not use SSLVPN for this, for various reasons, frequent session buildup, high load on the FGT, high memory consumption, VPN client is needed anyway and more. I don't think this is the main reason for the lag but it might be worth to try a dial-in IPsec tunnel anyway.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
ede_pfau

yes there is, as I suspected:

Win+R, "devmgmt.msc"

network adapters

WiFi adapter

properties

power settings

"computer can switch off device to conserve energy" - uncheck this if checked

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Globox

Thx for the tip, I will try it when I get back to work ! 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors