Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
micycle
New Contributor

Correct way to block a domain

I've been trying to figure what is right way (that also works best) to fully block access to a domain.

From my understanding there are 3 options:

* Block address of type FQDN

* Web filter

* DNS filter

Thing is I had issues with each one:

FQDN - (From this thread I understand that FQDN wouldn't be useful when blocking a domain that is connected to numerous IPs https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=188725&tree=true).

Web filter - web filter does block the domain when accessed through a browser. But won't block a ping request, which makes me worry it won't block other connections with the domain.

DNS filter - I have created a DNS filter but it does not seem to block the domain, so I am wondering whether it is not properly configured. This is how I set it up:

(Didn't matter which kind of inspection I set to the policy, and for the DNS filter itself, I tried both Simple option and Reg. Expression.)

So the question is:

Which one I should use to fully block access to a domain, and what is wrong with what I am doing with the option that is recommended?

0 REPLIES 0
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors