Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dwayne_A
New Contributor

Created IPsec VPN tunnel, only first connection provides routing others routing fail

Hello,

A little background first:

Running 100D v6.2.5 Build1142, Client running 6.4.2.1580

I have taken over from a previous IT provider and they had 1 IPsec tunnel created. They shared the pre-share key but it didnt seem to work when setting up 3 new laptops for the office.

They primarily want to vpn, run RPD and access quickbooks from their desktops. The one original user has done this for years.

I created a new IPsec modeled after what was in the fortigate configuration, created a new IP range and also attempted to use the existing.

I am able to connect with the new Tunnel and RPD as expected, can also ping any machine on the network.

When i attempt to connect laptop 2 and 3, they will connect to the tunnel but i have no routing to allow me to RPD or ping any local machine.

I am not sure if I am missing something in the config as I have attempted to use the existing IP address range with same results.

I am not fluent in fortigate having used and managed it 4 years ago.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I might be missing it would be greatly appreciated.

As a last resort, I would create a direct RDP to each machine using a customized (not 3389) port. this is already currently setup for remote RDP into the server so that would be a simple setup if the VPN issue isnt resolved.

Thanks much Forum for your assistance

Dwayne

2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I'm afraid this is not enough information to provide an answer.

Why did you create a second VPN in the first place (no pun intended)? Is the 'orginal' VPN still active?

If I'd set up a VPN for multiple clients, it would be a single, dial-in IPsec VPN. Each user would create a distinct VPN tunnel ("tunnelname_0"..."tunnelname_1" etc.). One policy would allow traffic into the LAN.

I believe there must be numerous recipes and examples for this in either the Handbook or the Cookbook, available on docs.fortinet.com.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Dwayne_A

Ede,

I created a second tunnel because the pre-share key that was given to me did not work when setting up another users laptop.

I didnt want to "Break" what the other user had so i created another tunnel.

I did find yesterday that the Nat transversal needed to be set (comparing to the original tunnel spec) and everything seems to be working fine after that change was made. I decided to use the same IP addressing scheme as the original tunnel to make sure i wasnt introducing any new routing table issues.

Appreciate your feedback and I'm glad people are reading and helping where they can

Dwayne

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors