Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
angie1996
New Contributor

ANTI SPOOFING enabled ? FORTIGATE

Hello,Our security auditor has asked that I generate screen shots proving that these firewalls use stateful inspection. They also want something showing uses anti-spoofing

I have a fortigate 500d v.5.6, how do I know that it has ANTI SPOOFING and STATEFUL INSPECTION enabled? Will there be any command to see it?

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I have no idea how I could *prove* that the engine in my car has 6 cylinders but it's in the description of the model (and no, no ignition cables to count as it's a Diesel engine).

In your case you have  diesel fuel line/rail .Just busting your chops :)

But ede bought up the point the datasheet and the fact that you do not have asymmetrical routing enabled should be good enough.

also to edit, if the auditor becomes pain, you can always make a configuration dump send it into tac and have them confirm 1> it's operating in stateful mode 2> and uRPF anti-spoof is enabled

I had to do just that for a PCI auditor for a similar audit where they didn't take the word of 4  local engineers that our firewalls was acting like a firewall, smh.

So they accepted the word of the TAC.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
7 REPLIES 7
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

One of our customer had the same inquiry originated by their security auditor. Unless "asymroute" is enabled, stateful inspection is the base of all FW actions including the reverse path check on the FGTs as in the KB.

https://kb.fortinet.com/k....do?externalID=FD30543

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't know why they want that but 

diag sys session list

diag sys session stat

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
angie1996

hello, what are those commands for?

angie1996

hello, what are those commands for?

ede_pfau

Stateful firewall have to maintain a table of active sessions - "state" refers to the state of a session, being opened, used, closed. If you show the current session table with the commands supplied by @emnoc, you do in fact prove that this firewall is stateful.

Proving that RPF is in place is more difficult. You can show that the FGT has a command to disable this feature, so indirectly show that the feature exists. Other than that, you can only demonstrate it by injecting traffic from an unknown IP source, which will be dropped silently by RPF.

Then again, it's all in the data sheet. I have no idea how I could *prove* that the engine in my car has 6 cylinders but it's in the description of the model (and no, no ignition cables to count as it's a Diesel engine).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I have no idea how I could *prove* that the engine in my car has 6 cylinders but it's in the description of the model (and no, no ignition cables to count as it's a Diesel engine).

In your case you have  diesel fuel line/rail .Just busting your chops :)

But ede bought up the point the datasheet and the fact that you do not have asymmetrical routing enabled should be good enough.

also to edit, if the auditor becomes pain, you can always make a configuration dump send it into tac and have them confirm 1> it's operating in stateful mode 2> and uRPF anti-spoof is enabled

I had to do just that for a PCI auditor for a similar audit where they didn't take the word of 4  local engineers that our firewalls was acting like a firewall, smh.

So they accepted the word of the TAC.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Yurisk

On CLI/CLI Applet run this command:

show full system settings | grep  asym

If output looks like this it means Stateful firewall is NOT disabled, i.e. enabled:

set asymroute disable set asymroute-icmp disable

set asymroute6 disable

set asymroute6-icmp disable

Yuri https://yurisk.info/  blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Yuri https://yurisk.info/ blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors