Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
shivani_sharma
New Contributor

FortiGate Layer 2 (VXLAN) and Layer 3 over the same IPSec VPN

Hello,

Is it possible to send layer 2 VXLAN and other layer 3 traffic over the same IPSec VPN? I have tested VXLAN over IPSec in the lab but I didn't test if I can use the same IPSec VPN carrying the VXLAN to send layer 3 traffic from one site to another.

At the moment we have two sites connected with IPSec VPN and carrying layer 3 traffic. We would like to implement a layer 2 VXLAN between these two sites for a particular VLAN. Is it possible for me to add VXLAN over the same IPSec VPN? I am assuming there should be a way since we cannot create two IPSec VPNs between same endpoints. Can someone please confirm if VXLAN and Layer 3 traffic can be sent over the same IPSec VPN?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You can always use a loop0 interface and set that as the src -address. You will need a rule to SNAT the address and ensure NAT-T is used. I would also defined a peerid ( string, fqdn or email ....just pick one )

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
shivani_sharma

emnoc wrote:

You can always use a loop0 interface and set that as the src -address. You will need a rule to SNAT the address and ensure NAT-T is used. I would also defined a peerid ( string, fqdn or email ....just pick one )

Ken Felix

Hello Ken,

Is there a configuration example I can follow to setup the VPN using loopback interface? Would it work if I use loopback interface at both ends?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I would say no, not possible, because VXLAN over IPSec uses IPsec encapsulation in phase1 config, unlike "native" VXLAN with VLANs. So far I don't see a way to carry VLAN tags over VXLAN over IPsec either.

Maybe in 6.6?

Toshi

shivani_sharma

toshiesumi wrote:

I would say no, not possible, because VXLAN over IPSec uses IPsec encapsulation in phase1 config, unlike "native" VXLAN with VLANs. So far I don't see a way to carry VLAN tags over VXLAN over IPsec either.

Maybe in 6.6?

Toshi

Thanks Toshi. According to FortiGate it is possible to send multiple VLANS over virtual wire pair, please see link below. However, when I last tested this it did not work for some reason.

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD47557

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

That KB is missing details in the ipsec-config fwiw

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors