Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
eddwood
New Contributor

Fotigate 100D Reset

Hi forum members,

I am pretty new in forinet hardware. So I bought a used fortigate 100D and fist of all, I made a hard reset with the resetbutton on the front. Unfortunately bevor I read the manuals. So it sees, that now I have to log in with putty to manage the fortigate with a consol cable. I did so with putty and now ist says "open boot device failied" (see attached picture). As far as I know, I now have to flash it right? Therefore I need the flash firmware, but I can´t find it. To be honest, it is the first time that I work with putty, so I have to learn it now. I am really thankfull for help.

Alexander

1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

@SecurityPlus: that will only work once the FGT boots up the firmwarte which it doesn't now.

The Screenshot shows that you can only access the boot loader by hitteng any key when prompted for.

You would need to get a firmware image and then flash it via TFTP. Am unsure if the automatic usb flash will work without firmware.

Firmware Images are only available for download in the FortiNet Support Portal. You will have to have a FortiCare license covering that FGT to get a login or ask your reseller/partner for a login or a firmware image.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
5 REPLIES 5
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

Normally you can log into a FortiGate that is “new” on IP addresses 192.168.1.99 from Interface port 1. Username: “admin” and password: “” (leave password blank). Will that work?
sw2090
Honored Contributor

@SecurityPlus: that will only work once the FGT boots up the firmwarte which it doesn't now.

The Screenshot shows that you can only access the boot loader by hitteng any key when prompted for.

You would need to get a firmware image and then flash it via TFTP. Am unsure if the automatic usb flash will work without firmware.

Firmware Images are only available for download in the FortiNet Support Portal. You will have to have a FortiCare license covering that FGT to get a login or ask your reseller/partner for a login or a firmware image.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
eddwood
New Contributor

Hm, thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, thats what I thougt. It was an ebay purchase. So I don´t really have a reseller. I did not thougt, that I must have a licence to flash my own fortgate. Hm. Not good at the moment.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

basically you do not need the license to flash but you need it to get firmware images from support portal.

Can you ask the ebay seller for if they had a licens for that FGT or if they have an account and could supply you with an image file?

-- 

Furil
New Contributor

Hello,

To put it simply it cannot boot on the firmware soyou have no choice but to reinstall it.

You just need to initiate a connection via TFTP and upload a new image, please follow this KB :

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=10338

Regarding the image location please go on fortinet support site : https://support.fortinet.com/

Best regards,

Furil

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors