Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JOATMON
New Contributor

Cannot get fiber interface to show "up". Can I confirm SFP Module functionality?

I ordered an SFP module that should be compatible with my 200D.  However,  I cannot get the interface up. Note that this is my first time ever working with fiber.  Most recently, I have tried setting the speed manually to 1000full, however this isn't working.  Is there some way to "test" this SFP module? Or anything else I should try?

# config system interface

# edit dmz1

# show 

"set speed 1000full"

# diag hardware deviceinfo nic dmz1

"status :down"

"Speed :10"

"Duplex  :half"

# set speed 1000full

# show

"set speed 1000full"

# diag hardware deviceinfo nic dmz1

"status :down"

"Speed  :10"

"Duplex :half"

p.s. This editor is frustrating.

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I would think either a bad/wrong SFP or a bad slot.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Also I would try "get sys int transceiver dmz1" to see if the unit sees the SFP. If it's detected, it would show TX/RX optical level. If the numbers look normal, I would set a loopback with either dmz1 to dmz2 or a TX-RX loopback cable.

If it shows one way without a loopback, I would check the other end. Might need to call the vendor if that's on their end.

Then finally if none of above found the cause, I would open a ticket to get help from TAC.

JOATMON

FG200D # get sys int transceiver dmz1
ioctl SIOCETHTOOL.ETHTOOL_GMODULEINFO error(-1)
Interface dmz1 - Transceiver is not detected.

:(

I'll try putting it in the other slot, but any other ideas?

edit: Same result in dmz2.  I guess I'll order a new transceiver. 

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I would think either a bad/wrong SFP or a bad slot.

JOATMON

I tried the other slot with the same result. Assuming the Transceiver is bad/wrong, as you said.

Thanks for the assistance.  

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

b4 we rule that out do you have any options to set mediatype from the cli under that interface? Also I believe  diag hardware test network detect might be a option for testing the interface also.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors