Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JOATMON
New Contributor

Issue with static IP on WAN (no internet)

We have a cable modem from Spectrum for our backup internet. It is DHCP. I was able to get it working in LAN2 without issue.

Today we got our primary fiber line installed.  They gave me a static IP.  I cannot get it to work.  I can plug my laptop in directly and set the IP and it works fine. But I've tried a few things on the Fortigate 200D and cannot get a connection on a client.  

I am not a networking expert, but I thought it might be the "gateway" (the only difference between my laptop static and the WAN interface config). I found this thread and tried creating a static route to 0.0.0.0/0 but it did not help.

My laptop is pulling a DHCP address from the VLAN switch, so I know it's at least getting that far.  

Here are the relevant configs.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that helps.

Physical Interface

Addressing Mode: Manual

IP/Net mask: 4.x.x.x/255.255.255.252

Interface State: Enabled

IPv4 Policy (literally cloned from the working policy and changed the "To" and "From".

To: Lumen (wan1)

Source: all

Destination: all

Schedule: always

Service: all

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

How did you decide to make the Spectrum cable as backup? Set a lower distance on the interface than the primary? Or put both in SD-WAN and set the implicit rule to make the primary's weight higher?

Likely that strategy is not working as you intended. Check your routing-table to see where the current default route is pointing to.

I would just disconnect the backup circuit while bringing up the primary.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I can plug my laptop in directly and set the IP and it works fine

If they gave you a static, place that back on the interface and do a diag sniffer packet <interface_name> 5 do you see any packets? if some one ping your static-IP do you see packets? What is the destination mac_address shown in the dump?

keep in mind the ISP might have sticky mac-address so the 1st learned mac-address is locked by the ISP upstream device and if you change hardware , you have to have them flush it. My ISP does that btw. So I my macbook en0 ether address for all of my network gear  wan interfaces. This way if I pull my  FWF50E off the ISP link and test with my macbook, I don't have to worry about being filtered at layer2.

Just a hunch on what your problem might be, but try that diag sniffer and look at the packets and ether address in the dump 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
JOATMON
New Contributor

Sorry all, I finally got this working with the help of this post.

Basically I created a Policy Route for the secondary connection.  I guess when I said "backup connection" that was a misnomer that led you all astray.  Essentially, for now (and I'm learning) I have it set up so that the primary VLAN uses the fiber and a public wifi VLAN uses the Cable.  I should have been more clear in the original post. Sorry!

Thanks for the replies!

sw2090
Honored Contributor

Did you set NAT on the outgoing policy?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors