Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
yoloknight
New Contributor

IPSec Dual Stack cant handle IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time

Hi Guys,

I have a problem that my IPSec VPN cant handle IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time. In my Phase 2 Selectors I have this information in there: IPv6:   Remote Address: "::/0" Local Address: "::/0" IPv4: Remote Address: "0.0.0.0" Local Address: "0.0.0.0" From my Strongswan client I have a stable IPSec Tunnel and get both IP addresses from Phase 1. (Example: 192.168.1.1 and fd00::1) Now with both entries IPv4 and IPv6, I can only ping the IPv4 192.168.1.1 address. If I delete this entry of phase two and only "::/0" is there, then I can ping the fd00::1. And if I delete the IPv6 entry, I can ping Ipv4. Ping: Only IPv4 entry -> ping works Only Ipv6 entry -> ping works Both (IPv4 and IPv6) -> ping to IPv4 works and IPv6 is unreachable For me it seems the IPSec tunnel cant handle both, the IPv4 and the IPv6 addresses and I can only choose one. Is this right or do I have overlooked something? (perhaps a special routing entry for this???)

7 REPLIES 7
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Q:

[ul]
  • Did you run "diag vpn tunnel list"
  • did you run debug on fortigate for ike [/ul][ul]
  • Did you run ipsec statusall & looked at the logs on Strongswan host[/ul][ul]
  • Did you try with specific Phase2 in both fgt and strongswan[/ul]

And no, you can run dual stacked fortios for ipsec tunnels

Ken Felix

• PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    yoloknight

Hi Emnoc, to your questions. Did you run "diag vpn tunnel list" -> Jup, the tunnel is shown stable and nothing unusal

did you run debug on fortigate for ike

-> Jup, the tunnel is established and no error signs

Did you run ipsec statusall & looked at the logs on Strongswan host

-> Jup, also i had done this, but strongswan gets no response from the fortigate and the ip (seen with "journalctl -f" on linux); the fortigate logs shows nothing

Did you try with specific Phase2 in both fgt and strongswan

-> I tried, for example to set in particular "compress=no", but nothing works. In the end I only use the default configuration of strongswan For me it looks like that Fortigate dont support a dual-stack client-to-client roadwarrior vpn.

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

Drop your configuration  ( fgt and strongswan  ) not sure what your doing but ipsec ipv4/6 dual stack is supported and works. 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    yoloknight

Hi emnoc,

well I have made some progress in that matter. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-strongswan/+bug/1905565

It seems that the Dual Stack configuration only works with two child_sa. We ask this question the support, but our contact (on Fortigate side) didnt see this as a technical issure and more of a consulting. Perhaps you know the answer. Is the Fortigate able to narrow the traffic selectors of a single CHILD_SA appropriately (e .g. does it proposes 0.0.0.0/0 AND ::/0 as remote traffic selectors). Or is it unable to do that and requires two CHILD_SAs?

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

I will have to test but with junos we built one phase2-interface and it generated one child-SA iirc. Strongswan should be the same, dump your config fgt/strongswan ( phase2 )

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    yoloknight

The guy Tobias Brunner says its a know issue with Fortigate. (I think we dont need a dump perhaps)

https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Fortinet (known issue)

In short it seems the Fortigate invoke a error, that StrongSwans force to switch intern its mode. Because of that you cant have 1 valid child-SA. But i dont know if Fortigate is working on this, because my support dont answer me anymore.

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

So I remenber I just wrote about multiple conn before in a previous blog post;

Ken Felix Security Blog: Multiple Phase2 in Srongswan configuations (socpuppet.blogspot.com)

The old way of append  subnets to one "conn" is not ideal or even recommended

/strongswan

leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24;192.168.2.0/24 rightsubnet=192.168.4.0/24;192.168.6.0/24

So you need to build a separate conn and associate it to the parent and define the ipv6 subnets

conn ipv6 leftsubnet=2001:db8:1::0/64 rightsubnet=2001:db8:2::0/64

also=mainconn auto=route

Run the ipsecstatus and ip -6 route to see the ipv6 details on strongswan. Dual ipv4/v6 is doable just have to do it in that fashion.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors