Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
R1chou
New Contributor

Allowing ping

Hello,

I have an internal IIS server with one site configured with the following address (for example) : https://toto.test.fr

The IP server is for example : 10.0.10.1

The public ip address is for example : 1.1.1.1

I created the following virtual IP

name : test external ip : 1.1.1.1

internal ip : 10.0.10.1

Port forwarding TCP : 443 to 443

Then I created my policy enabling all from external to access to test on service HTTPS.

It's working but I would like to know how to enable the ping to toto.test.fr because currently it's not working.

I tried to add a new virtual ip by selecting port forwarding ICMP and added ICMP+Ping  to my policy but it doesn't work.

Regards,

2 Solutions
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

As ICMP / ping does not use ports, a port-forwarding VIP will not forward it. Make the VIP non-portforwarding, and limit the incoming services in the policy.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep, either use multiple port-forwarding VIPs on the same public address, or several public addresses for multiple non-portforwarding VIPs to different internal servers. You cannot combine one pf-VIP with one non-pf-VIP on the same public address.

Pinging the interface will tell you about the state of the firewall or WAN line, not about the internal server.

Ede

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

As ICMP / ping does not use ports, a port-forwarding VIP will not forward it. Make the VIP non-portforwarding, and limit the incoming services in the policy.

Ede

R1chou

Hi,

Thank you, the public ip address used in my VIP "test" is already used by another VIP forwarding port 88 to another server. I suppose that I can't use your solution, correct ?

Regards,

Markus
Valued Contributor

Did you have only one IP? If so, you can allow ping on your wan interface...

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

That is correct. Unfortunately it is one or the other (port forwarding multiples or only non-port forwarding).

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep, either use multiple port-forwarding VIPs on the same public address, or several public addresses for multiple non-portforwarding VIPs to different internal servers. You cannot combine one pf-VIP with one non-pf-VIP on the same public address.

Pinging the interface will tell you about the state of the firewall or WAN line, not about the internal server.

Ede

R1chou

Thanks everyone !

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors