Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Fullmoon
Contributor III

aggregate bandwidth

anyone could shed or explain why FortiGate can't aggregate the bandwidth? What would be the edge or benefit having this kind of functionality? What would be the pros and cons?

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
9 REPLIES 9
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What do mean? Aggregate bandwith could mean a host of things 

[ul]
  •   ECMP
  •   lacp-bundle
  •   SD-WAN[/ul]

All of the above is doable in fortios, fwiw

Ken Felix

• PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Fullmoon
    Contributor III

a common question from customer if the FortiGate able to aggregate the bandwidth if 2 WAN links have (50MB+50MB) each pipe. If I do speed test the result should reflect as 100MB in my browser. 

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
    Toshi_Esumi

I think it's depending on how you test the bandwidth. My assumption is if the test source is one machine (one IP) and the test server is located at one IP address, the test traffic would likely go through only one side.

Fullmoon

toshiesumi wrote:

I think it's depending on how you test the bandwidth. My assumption is if the test source is one machine (one IP) and the test server is located at one IP address, the test traffic would likely go through only one side.

Are you familiar with this solution Peplink SpeedFusion Bandwidth Bonding? I'm looking at the same or similar fashion with FortiGate.

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
    simonorch

I think perhaps you might want to look at IPSec aggregation

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.4.3/administration-guide/779201/aggregate-and-redunda...

NSE8
    Fortinet Expert partner - Norway

NSE8Fortinet Expert partner - Norway
    Fullmoon

simonorch wrote:

I think perhaps you might want to look at IPSec aggregation

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.4.3/administration-guide/779201/aggregate-and-redunda...

well its a typical router/nat device wherein if you have 2-3 wan links its aggregates the bandwidth.pretty straight forward if you do speedtest on you computer you really get the desired speed of 3 ISPs.

somehow this is winning piece of this solution in customer perspective over FG SDWAN. 

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
    simonorch

As i understand peplink, the 'bonded traffic' is essentially tunneled in to a hub over multiple links is it not?

NSE8
    Fortinet Expert partner - Norway

NSE8Fortinet Expert partner - Norway
    emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

In SDWAN not that would not give you 100mbps. Your src behind one ip.address either wan1 or wan2. So that test-server will see one of the 2 address used in your SDWAN member.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    boneyard
    Valued Contributor

Fullmoon wrote:

well its a typical router/nat device wherein if you have 2-3 wan links its aggregates the bandwidth. pretty straight forward if you do speedtest on your computer you really get the desired speed of 3 ISPs.

i dont see pep link doing that in the scenario you describe, because you seem to need their devices on both sides of the setup.

the problem lies with how TCP connections work, if you do a speed test you use one TCP connection in general. and that is the limit. their technology might be able to do some magic and spread your session over the possible links. but that only works between two of their boxes.

it sounds great, but i truly wonder how well it actually performs.

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors