Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
aagrafi
Contributor II

Transactions per second vs. connections per second

Hello,

Can somebody tell me the difference between transactions per second and connections per second in a dashboard reading of a FAD or FWB? Which one of these numbers is bigger? Is it normal if the conns. per sec is higher that the trans. per sec?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Think of transaction as HTT GET/PUT/POST and connection per/sec as layer4 sessions. As far as normal it could be depending on your environment . Are you seeing limit issues? Mot adc/lb rate by transactions  per seconds and that value could also be impacted if SSL  is involved.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
aagrafi
Contributor II

No, I'm not seeing limit issues. I see something like 6K CPS and 180 SSL TPS and I want to comprehend if these figures look normal or do they indicate a potential problem. (I was expecting to see the TPS figure to be higher than the CPS and not the opposite).

Thanks

Andreas

aagrafi

Furthermore, in a FAD datasheet I see these numbers:

L4 CPS 750,000

L7 CPS (1:1) * 250,000

SSL CPS/TPS (1:1) 2K keys ** 37,000

and:

* Layer 7 CPS — measures number of new HTTP connections (1 HTTP request per TCP connection) ** Tested with 1 HTTP request per SSL connection; SSL Ciphers=AES256-SHA; 2K Keys

Please help me comprehend these figures:

a) What is the difference betw. L4 CPS and L7 CPS? Is the L7 CPS same to L7 TPS? How does L4 CPS relate to L7 CPS (if it does relate at all)?

b) What is the difference betw. L7 CPS and SSL CPS/TPS?

Thanks

Andreas

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors