Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
byzed
New Contributor

Question about using a Console Server with the Fortigate 100F

Hi,

Color me clueless.... I'd like to connect my Fortigate 100F to a Vertiv Avocent ACS 8000 Console Server. How do I go about doing this when the Fortigate uses a RJ45 console port?

In advance, Thanks so much for the help.

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi

You need to know the pin-out of the terminal server's serial port. Fortigate's pin-out is almost same as Cisco's if not exactly the same. The terminal server should have come with a couple of those that would work with most of routers like Cisco. If not, need to find it out and make one yourself. I should try Cisco's "roll-over" cable first though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don't understand what you meant. The terminal server you mentioned seems to have 48 Serial RJ-45 port on the back to connect to any devices, like FGTs, routers, and so on, which has RJ-45 console port.

byzed

Yes, I know that.

My direct question is what Cable do I use to connect both devices?

Thanks

Toshi_Esumi

You need to know the pin-out of the terminal server's serial port. Fortigate's pin-out is almost same as Cisco's if not exactly the same. The terminal server should have come with a couple of those that would work with most of routers like Cisco. If not, need to find it out and make one yourself. I should try Cisco's "roll-over" cable first though.

byzed

Thank you, I appreciate it. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors