Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
WJProctor
New Contributor

Statics IPs

Hi I have a 60e and its running well with a PPPOE connection. My ISP has given me a block of 4 address 71-75. Apart from setting these up an virtual IPs do I need to change anything on my PPPOE Wan 1 adapter. Ps my wan1 up is currently 72! Regards James
4 REPLIES 4
boneyard
Valued Contributor

as you say, create the VIP (and firewall rule which uses the VIP) is al you need to do if the provider routes these to the link

WJProctor

Do I need to put anything in the Pppoe numbered IP. Not got rules setup. Maybe that what I’m missing.
boneyard
Valued Contributor

VIPs on themselves don't do much, using them as destination in a firewall rule from wan to internal zone is required.

as for the PPPoE numbered IP i don't get the question, screenshot might help.

ede_pfau

OP, you don't have to fill in any IP address in the PPPoE setup. If so, your ISP would tell you. This has nothing to do with the block of public IPs you were assigned.

You have 2 ways to use the public IPs:

- as secondary addresses on your WAN port

- as VIPs, that is, using destination NAT

The first way does not apply if you use PPPoE because then the primary address is assigned dynamically. You will have a hard time to put in the other addresses then.

VIPs actually do something right after creation (that is, even WITHOUT using them in a policy): they respond to arp, they are 'seen' on the WAN port. But, to actually make use of them, you need to use them as the destination address in an inbound policy, as @boneyard has already explained.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors