Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Frogginbullfish
New Contributor

Question about deny policies and sessions

Hi, I am working with a bunch of Fortigates that only have outgoing policies from LAN to WAN. I was thinking about using IP list threat feeds for an extra layer of security. I thought I would insert a policy at the top, but would I put the IP block list as src IP or dest IP? Is there a point in creating a src block policy from the internet when there are no policies that accept traffic from the internet (i.e. I have no servers/VIPs). For example, if a user created a session with a malicious IP, that wouldn't checked by any WAN->LAN policies on the way back right? Thus I would need to create policies with the IP block lists as dest? This might be a dumb question, but I just want to be sure :) 

3 REPLIES 3
Markus
Valued Contributor

Hi, and welcome to the forums. As long you doesn't have Vips, nor wan-lan policies, it makes no sense to create a wan-lan block policy.

If you want to protect the access FROM these Ips to the Fortigate it self, you have to deal with local-in policies. If you want to protect your clients and deny access to these ips, you create a denied policy at top of lan to wan. Source is any (or your client subnet) and destination your ip block list, as you guess right.

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
Frogginbullfish
New Contributor

Thanks very much for confirming - I just had to be sure. I am still fairly new to this game as you might have guessed! I didn't know about the local-in policies either, so thanks for mentioning those. The more you know.

Markus

No prob, glad to help. For local-in you have to enable the feature in system->feature visibility, to see it in the gui. But creating and managing local-in policies, this is only possible in cli. Another thing is also, if your blocking policy won't work, you have maybe to enable set match-vip enable in cli.

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors