Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
netimp
New Contributor

VM Firewall + Ubiquiti AP LR

Hi,

I have VM Fortigate firewall and Ubiquiti AP connected directly to VM port.

Systems connected to Fortigate VM LAN port is giving me actual ISP speed of 150 Mb. If I plug in Ubiquiti AP to same port and connect windows system to AP gives me speed only 30 MB download.

Same AP if I connect to ISP modem directly gives me ISP speed of 150 Mb.

If anybody experience the same issue please advise.

Thank You in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
boneyard
Valued Contributor

perhaps it is me, but a VM FortiGate to me sounds like virtual machine, so VMware or such, is that true? how does a virtual firewall have a LAN port? 

could you perhaps share a drawing?

lobstercreed

So you're saying that anything you plug in directly to the firewall (leaving aside boneyard's valid point) gets 150Mbps download, like this?  ISP <-> FGT <-> PC

But if you connect wirelessly like this: ISP <-> FGT <-> WAP <-> PC then you're only getting 30Mbps download? 

Assuming you're not especially far away, it sounds to me like you're connecting to 2.4Ghz radio of your AP on a single spatial stream where the PHY is limited to ~72Mbps or less, making 30Mbps a realistic possibility if there is any congestion on the channel (likely with 2.4 band).

Maybe try a different AP or try limiting the SSID to 5Ghz only (hopefully talking about 802.11ac on both sides, but even 802.11n in 5Ghz band would likely give enough performance for your expectations).

boneyard

i read the line "Same AP if I connect to ISP modem directly gives me ISP speed of 150 Mb." as

ISP <-> AP <-> PC

getting 150 Mb

and

ISP <-> FGT <-> PC

getting 30 Mb

aside from the question if that is ISP <-> VMware <-> FGT VM <-> VMware <-> PC  (or PC on VMware?)

anyway @netimp you will need to share some more details to get a good answer, there are many things that can cause this.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors