Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tamilpol
New Contributor

One address, address group, or Internet service is required error when Setting up MAC base

Hello all,

I am trying to set up MAC based policy access in which only the computers(3 pcs) from my room should have access to all other computers and servers in whole appartment.

I have added the computers based on MAC address to device inventory.

But when I try to create a policy based on MAC  Iam getting this error

One address, address group, or Internet service is required

But when I add a subnet with the PCs the error goes away. But I dont want the subnet to have all access. Only the computers with MAC address should have access

PS: I have researched about the changes in FortiOS 6.2 . But you can still do MAC based policy directly on IPv4 policy pages.

Thank you so much for help and advices in advance

3 REPLIES 3
lobstercreed
Valued Contributor

What you left out is what version you're running.  Based on the error you're getting, I assume you are running something prior to 6.2 (i.e. 6.0.x, 5.6.x, etc).

Prior to 6.2, a MAC-based policy uses AND logic with the source address(es) and the source MAC address(es) you specify.  So when you add the subnet, you're saying IF the source IP matches AND the source MAC address matches, then this is applicable. 

It's not opening it up to the entire subnet....that would only happen if you REMOVED the MAC address(es) from the source definition in the policy. 

Feel free to test it out and prove it for yourself (try using a different MAC address to match that policy).

lobstercreed

Oh, and in 6.2 and later, devices (i.e. MAC addresses) aren't a thing.  They become address objects of a special type and can be used by themselves in a policy (what you were trying to do) where they would apply to ANY source IP address that matches that MAC address.

This was a HUGE pain in the butt for me when we moved from 6.0.9 to 6.2.x (and ultimately 6.4.x).  I was using a ton of MAC address policies and had to rewrite the logic for them because suddenly my source IP and source MAC addresses were now using OR logic and traffic would match on either one.  I had to go in and remove the IP address objects from all my MAC address policies.

tamilpol

yes, You are correct. I have tried by adding both source address and Mac address It worked like a charm. Thanks mate . you are awesome

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors